TopDoc.... an Oldie for sure

arpus4KM

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking to try and get a printout of this program from TopDoc. have a copy of the program and the topdoc software installed, but I keep getting an error when I attempt to use the document or edit options. the other options work fine, so my assumption is something isn't checking some box with it internally.

would also like to hear if there was any other way to convert a TopDoc program to AI2 possibly... or at least view it

Error below in the orange-ish

sentinel.JPG

You need the parallel adaptor key made by Rainbow Technologies. Similar to the pic.

s-l400.jpg

"Software Sentinel" sounds like a software dongle (Sentinel was/is a brand name of parallel port dongles).

Why don't you post your program for me (or someone) to try printing it for you?

that would be awesome if you could. I'll see if I can get the dongle/adapter that came with the software in the mean time.

View attachment PLC2 Dyer.zip

attached the file.

I have the TOPDOC software and loaded your program but "no description DATABASE found" it does show the ladder logic but I have no means to print from Win95 because it wants a physical printer connection.
The main description is "PHAZER PLC PROGRAM (W/ EXHAUST REDUCTION)
P100965 program 381 rungs
There is also a 382 rungs J100965 program

I have the TOPDOC software and loaded your program but "no description DATABASE found" it does show the ladder logic but I have no means to print from Win95 because it wants a physical printer connection.
The main description is "PHAZER PLC PROGRAM (W/ EXHAUST REDUCTION)
P100965 program 381 rungs
There is also a 382 rungs J100965 program

I would think there would be a print to file isn't there?

well.. I could trick it into giving me what I want lol.

If you make a topdoc program, with just rung 0 and a single xic/ote in it.

then go to Workfiles->Import-> choose the new program made, it will create a file ending in .LOB which is a workfile for it.

there should already be .LOB for the ones I had uploaded, if not just make them. then you can back to the Workfiles->Diff-> choose the two files, and then choose a file name to export as .DFT

that DFT shows up as ladder with all descriptions. I just can't make a new topdoc file to get it to spit it out.

or you could just make the simple 1 line program for me and I can run the compare.

Thanks for the help!

well.. I could trick it into giving me what I want lol.
or you could just make the simple 1 line program for me and I can run the compare.

Thanks for the help!

I followed your instructions and hope it gets you what you wanted.

I just did the P100965 file, I can do the J100965 next if this works for you

I followed your instructions and hope it gets you what you wanted.

I just did the P100965 file, I can do the J100965 next if this works for you

Well I was wrong about one thing. There are no descriptions. But it has all 381 rungs of the program in text format with all the instructions. Still a win with that.

Rung 373
B 706 300 462 300
B-] [----]/[----[G]-----------------------------------------------------(PUT)-
B 12 15 309F 0004

Rung 374
B 706 300 463 300
B 13 15 30A2 0004

Rung 375
B 707 300 464 300
B 00 15 30A5 0004

Rung 376
B 707 300 465 300
B 01 15 30A8 0004

Rung 377
B 707 300 466 300
B 02 15 30AB 0004

Rung 378
B 707 300 467 300
B 03 15 30AE 0004

Rung 379
B 707 300 470 300
B 04 15 30B1 0004

Rung 380
B
B-----------------------------------------------------------------------(RET)-
B

Rung 381
B
B-------------------------------END OF PROGRAM--------------------------------
B

I know these files had full descriptions which is evident from opening the .cmt file in wordpad, unfortunately there isn't a good way to link the two together without the program.

Thank you again for your help.

If anyone else has topdoc and is able to test it and see if descriptions load in properly, it would be helpful.

I did get TOPDOC to print to a file .prn file (included in the zip file I attached earlier) and in MS Word 97 it does show the rung descriptions but hard to decypher in the funky format it shows. If you have a better app for *.prn file maybe it would be of use.

edit: it look much better using WordPad...

Last edited:
I did get TOPDOC to print to a file .prn file (included in the zip file I attached earlier) and in MS Word 97 it does show the rung descriptions but hard to decypher in the funky format it shows. If you have a better app for *.prn file maybe it would be of use.

ah yeah. I see that.

It looks Ok in windows 98 wordpad. but the unknown characters and formatting are off similar to how the print options weren't perfect when I used the same function in AI2 to get test prints out. had to do whether or not it was in a compiled or enhanced version and IBM visuals were enabled or not.

The sections of ladder have their appropriate labeling which is great. so maybe there was a problem with the comments/descriptions file.

A little bit of CTRL+H action has it looking great. that's awesome, any chance you can get the PRN for the J100965 also?

Last edited: