Totally off topic....... puzzle

Bob...

The shape of the arm makes no difference what so ever.
All that matters is the distance between the nut and the point where the force is applied, and the force.

The arm could be "I-shaped", "S-shaped", "L-shaped"... any shape at all.

How can the nut be sensitive to the type of arm being applied?
Could the nut say... "ooohhh... S-shape", or... "ooohhh... L-shape".

What would the effective arm length be if the 12" torque wrench was applied at 90-degrees to the metric wrench.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page... the two wrenches are in the same plane, horizontal.

o
|
/ |
/ |
/ |
/ 12"
/ |
/ |
/ |
/ |
o----- 9" -------o

The effective length of the arm is the square root of (9-squared + 12-squared).
81 + 144 = 225
sq root of 225 = 15

The effective length of the arm is 15" (1.25-Ft).

What you are doing is "projecting" the horizontal component of the torque wrench onto the axis with the metric wrench. (that is what I did the first time as well.)

In the case of the 30-degree angle... (1-Ft COS 30 = .866-Ft) you are calculating an effective length of .750-Ft + .866-Ft = 1.616-Ft

In the case of the 90-degree angle... (1-Ft COS 90 = 0.000-Ft) that would be... .750-Ft + .000-Ft = .750-Ft

Both of those are wrong.

Terry,

I will agree the shape of a rigid arm doesn’t matter but how can we treat this as a rigid arm now when we were reading at a pivot point 9” out when they were parallel? It has been a long time since doing force couple problems so thanks Steve.

Bob O.

A bear walks one mile south then turns and walks one mile east then turns and walks one mile north. He ends up where he started from. What color is the bear?

Ok, seeing that we are posting 'old' puzzles and the like, here's one of my favourites, it still catches people out down the pub.

If I circled the earth with a piece of string at the equator it would be approximately 40,076km long, if I now placed another bit of string on top of my original but leave a 1m clearance between the two, how much longer would my second bit of string be than the first?

Steve Bailey is NOT allowed to answer

Paul

I was saying that, besides 23/30, I believe 24/31 is the only other example of this type number which fits this catagory. For an example of both check out a standard US 12 month calendar for January of this year.

If I circled the earth with a piece of string at the equator it would be approximately 40,076km long, if I now placed another bit of string on top of my original but leave a 1m clearance between the two, how much longer would my second bit of string be than the first?

That was on the German version of "Who want's to be a millionair! a month or two back as either the 16,000€ or 32,000€ question, so I guess I better keep my mouth shut as well!

PLucas said:
Ok, seeing that we are posting 'old' puzzles and the like, here's one of my favourites, it still catches people out down the pub.

Paul

That's easy...

The string is still 40,076 km long, but I rounded (as did you).