Totally off topic....... puzzle

check out a standard US 12 month calendar for January of this year
I finally get it!
This only works on a calendar with 5 Rows.. mine all have six, hence no slash marks...
Gosh that was a long row to hoe.

I thought that I would have to get so specific (5 rows only) that it would totally blow everything. I also specified US in that some calendars don't start with Sunday on the left.

I proved that its shorter...

PLucas said:
Ok, seeing that we are posting 'old' puzzles and the like, here's one of my favourites, it still catches people out down the pub.

If I circled the earth with a piece of string at the equator it would be approximately 40,076km long, if I now placed another bit of string on top of my original but leave a 1m clearance between the two, how much longer would my second bit of string be than the first?

Steve Bailey is NOT allowed to answer

Paul

2 Pi more than 40,076.... Because your adding 2 meters to the diameter...

C = Pi * D

40,076/3.1459 = 12,704.028 ****Find the Diameter

12,704.028 * 1000 = 12,704,028 M ****Convert to meters

12,704,028 + 2 = 12,704,030 ****Add 2 meters to D

12,704,030/1000 = 12,704.030 ****Convert back to Km

12704.030 * 3.1459 = 39,965.608 ****Hmmmmm......

Thats crazy..... :eek:

It's 110.392km shorter !!!!!!

LMAO

Last edited:
Daniel - throw that calculator away. The values are way off. And pi to 5 decimal places is 3.14159. Your calcualtions are off using either the actual value of pi or your value of pi (3.1459)

bernie_carlton said:
Daniel - throw that calculator away. The values are way off. And pi to 5 decimal places is 3.14159. Your calcualtions are off using either the actual value of pi or your value of pi (3.1459)

Okay sorry bernie Just joking around... I think everyone knows its 2*pi in meters and the difference is so small (6.28m) in relation to the size of the Earth when rounded it apears to be the same size...

RMA said:
That was on the German version of "Who want's to be a millionair! a month or two back as either the 16,000€ or 32,000€ question, so I guess I better keep my mouth shut as well!

I would be courious to know what the answer was on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"...
jonton said:
Your pie is bigger than my pie. Maybe you're closer to the equator.

Only 3.142857rec down here.
To the best of my knowledge all pi values are the same...

Here is an interresting fact...
The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 kilometers).
But, if you measure the earth through the poles the circumference is a bit shorter - 24,859.82 miles (40,008 km). This the earth is a tad wider than it is tall, giving it a slight bulge at the equator. This shape is known as an ellipsoid or more properly, geoid (earth-like).

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA
That was on the German version of "Who want's to be a millionair! a month or two back as either the 16,000€ or 32,000€ question, so I guess I better keep my mouth shut as well!

I would be courious to know what the answer was on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"...

The four possible answers varied from zero to many (100?) km including the correct one of 6.28 m. Unfortunately I can't remember now whether or not the candidate got it right or not (I think not).

I must have spent as much time as Paul down the pub, because I recognised the question (and answer) immediately.

To haul this OT thread even further OT - the 'string around the earth' was immediately obvious because my parents purchased the 1950 World Book Encyclopedia (an American encyclopedia oriented toward elementary and intermediate school children). With my mother reading articles about anything that struck her fancy to us I was reading fluently by the time I entered elementary sschool.

To get to the point, its section on mathematics had a take on this problem with a man who built a fence to surround the earth but found that it was 10 feet too long (feet - American you know). Instead of just cutting it off he wished to install little posts to raise the fence all around the earth to take up the extra. How high did the posts have to be? It also had the famous "1=2 proof" showing the ability to make subtle mistakes in mathematics. What an education we had before even the first day in school.