TP170A Communication

VITAL99

Iam having problems transfering program from my laptop to a TP170A HMI
The laptop is running ProTool/Pro CS V6.0 SP3, over RS232 cable .
But when i try to transfer i get an error message "
Could not establish connection” although I checked all the setting nothing find wrong, need your help, advice and input to resolve this problem. Thank you
VITAL99

have you put the panel in transfer mode? if remote control isn't enabled on the panel then you need to manually put it in transfer mode

also check com port settings in protool are correct and make sure nothing else is stealing the com port (rslinx is bad for this)

easiest way i've found to transfer to siemens HMIs is with a usb host to host transfer cable (not like a normal male to male cable)

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=275561

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200198

you must use the drivers off the protool CD

Thank you Buchan
I already enabled the remote on the Panel also COM port setting in ProTool is enabled, even in Windows Hardware Device Manager set the COM1 for the serial cable, the panel is show “Connecting to Host…” but not found any host.
For USB host to host transfer cable solution is not possible as TP170A don’t have any USB port
VITAL99

Thank you Buchan
I already enabled the remote on the Panel also COM port setting in ProTool is enabled, even in Windows Hardware Device Manager set the COM1 for the serial cable, the panel is show “Connecting to Host…” but not found any host.
For USB host to host transfer cable solution is not possible as TP170A don’t have any USB port
VITAL99

my mistake, i've been working on a TP270 lately and i assumed the TP170 had USB also

what cable are you using? i have had success using an allen bradley 1756-CP3 cable, which is just a standard null modem cable if i remember correctly

only other thing to check is make sure there is no other software 'grabbing' the com port

As my Laptop don’t have any serial port I am using USB to Serial adapter to connect TP170A with it, the second possibility of other software might be occupied the COM port not possible I have only STEP 7 and ProTool on the Laptop, what’s your opinion now? other participant are invited to give there valuable opinion on the same topic. Thank you

Are you connecting directly to the screen or via the MPI port of the PLC on a piggyback connector? The only reason I ask is that I've had problems talking to a TP170B before. When connected directly to the screen there was no power on the USB/MPI lead. I only got power on the lead when I connected via the PLC on a piggyback connector.

;-)

You are right in that case when you are using USB/MPI lead, it will not work due to power problem, in that case you need to connect MPI via PLC.
In this case I am using serial port RS232 (IF 1A) of TP170 for communication with configuration computer using USB to Serial adapter, but failed to established communication.
🤞🏻

Dear Deep
Thank you for your reply..

No.1: I am trying to establish communication via serial port RS232 (IF1A PLC/Download) of TP170A with my laptop through USB to Serial adapter, Just to transfer the HMI to TP170A and test it in the workshop, Next step is to commission in the field and connect to the PLC.
No.2: The possibility of USB to Serial adapter may be faulty; this had been verified while connecting USB cable to laptop, its recognized the adapter, but failed to established communication with TP170A .
Regards
VITAL

usb Serial adapter

Vital99,

As i said in the other post some adapters work with the equipment and others don't, It does NOT mean they are faulty it means that the DRIVER that has been written for the usb-serial is not capable of working with the screen and the PLC.
I recommend that you try another adapter of a different manufacturer first such as Belkin or some such well known brand.

Deep
Thank you for your suggestion
I tried with another USB-to-Serial Adapter, but no difference, what I am trying to do now using a another Laptop having a serial port and trying to built communication with serial-to-serial cable between TP device and PC.
VITAL99