Traffic Light Assignment

(0001) 0010 0111 How this works

( 0 0 0 1 ) (0 0 1 0) (0 1 1 1) = 127

(800 400 200 100) (80 40 20 10) (8 4 2 1) = 127

Last edited:
Student Warning!

However, for those of you have been out of school for a while, things have changed. The difference is that for some reason most kids believe that the only way to solve any challenge is to do a search on Google, and then copy the results. I see this way too often.
It always seems to us old fxxxx that the young kids are corrupt, lazy, and willing to take any shortcut.

If every person had to learn all the knowledge of the world starting from scratch, on his own, without any history, mathematics, or literature to read and study, then we would have a dumb world. Learning from others is the only shortcut that allows the world to continue advancing and not have to reinvent all the old knowledge each and every generation.👨🏻‍🏫

Do we so easily forget our own youth, and what we were willing to do to avoid homework? Did you ever see somebody looking over a smart kid's shoulder and copying some homework? I think that only the methods have changed, not the character of the kids.

Kids are products of their environment, and if computers are there, they will be used for their intended purpose to make life easier, including doing homework and finding solutions on the Internet.

I don't find that all bad, but an acceptance of inevitable change. Changes will happen, and some people will embrace and use change, while others will try to hold on to the old ways as long as possible.

If I were teaching, I would try to teach students to use the Internet appropriately, to find help but not to substitute other's work for my own.

I think the smarter students will continue to do their own work, perhaps using the net to check their own answers, while the dumber ones will continue to copy by using the easiest method. Thus is life. The bright ones will go on to be shining stars, while the others take the lower tier jobs.

:reup:Student Warning: Every one of you that copies programs from here WITHOUT first doing it yourself, will find yourself doing one of those lower tier jobs. If you are willing to take shortcuts in your homework, then you would probably do that on the job also, and I had just as soon not have to work with you. Thus you should never be allowed to enter the field, and one way to keep you out is to give you answers to the homework, so that you never learn how to write a program. If you always copy, then you will be one less competitor in the job market for me to worry about!

Last edited:
Lancie 1, that was very well put. As we are all students. The youth of America is the future of America. I am not a student (63) yrs old. But I will ask for an example when I don't know where to start, then I will take the example and tear it totally apart to see why and how it works so I learn something. I have been doing PLCs for a very short time and come from the old school logic. Cabinets with 60 control relays and 10 timers.

I helped my 10 year old grandaughter with a science project with a 3-way switch. I showed here how and why but I made her learn how to do it and draw it anytime and explain the flow. She is 13 now and can still do it so I guess she learned.

The basics like relay logic do not bother me at all, it is the analog and math functions in a PLC. I am loving learning it.

Leon

Can anyone help me? I'd like to download money from the internet so I don't have to work anymore.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Actually, could you just send me a check?
Wait... Direct deposit?

ScottTheEngineer said:
Can anyone help me? I'd like to download money from the internet so I don't have to work anymore.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Actually, could you just send me a check?
Wait... Direct deposit?
No, then you have to go to the trouble to read those funny numbers on the bottom of your check to the get the RTN...how 'bout paypal?

Are we getting old and grumpy or are the kids really getting lazier?

I postulate that technology has changed the implementation of the impatience of our youth. We perceive this as laziness, while they see it as progres, but as a society, nothing has really changed at all.

Lancie1 said:
If I were teaching, I would try to teach students to use the Internet appropriately, to find help but not to substitute other's work for my own.

I most certainly do that. The Internet is an integral part of all of my courses. I can't tell you how many threads on this site I have covered in class.

I do have some very good students.

To paraphrase a speaker I listened to today, in a rual setting you have to "roll your own," new businesses. We can't afford to let someone else do the work for us, they won't. This was during the West Alabama - East Mississippi Regional Governors' Summit. Both Governors spoke, it was quite a day.

If your an instructor and you don't want kids to plagiarize off the web, then come up with original problems, that don't have a gazillion solutions posted all over the internet(i.e. no traffic lights). Kids will naturally take the path of least resistance.

plc_padawan said:
If your an instructor and you don't want kids to plagiarize off the web, then come up with original problems, that don't have a gazillion solutions posted all over the internet(i.e. no traffic lights). Kids will naturally take the path of least resistance.
I don't think most kids will naturally take the path of least resistance. I think those that do just stick out more on this forum. We have had many good students that we have HELPED work through their assignments, but the ones that come demanding answers are the ones that we remember

As far as original assignments you must remember that there is usually hardware associated with these assignments. Miniature intersections or elevators that help the students visualize their solutions. To come up with original problems, you must build new hardware.

Back in the early 90's when I went to tech. school, we first started off with a series of 3 dual contact relays mounted on a box, there was also 3 lights, and 3 switches and a pushbutton or two.. Then you got a shoebox full of wires and a sheet of paper that said something to the effect of, push button 1, light 1 comes on. Push button 2, light 1 goes off.

The problems gradually got harder and harder using multiple lights, multiple switches etc. You had to actually draw out your diagram in ladder format, and then wire it up according to your drawing. In my humble opinion, this is a pretty easy way to get a basic understanding of ladder programming. It's hands on, and the questions can always be altered to match whatever you want based which order the switches or buttons are made.

Then once you had a pretty good grasp of wiring up the relays, you got to move on to the plc's and transfer what you learned to programming the plc using the software, which seemed like a fairly easy transition. Of course, over time you learned more about math functions and stuff like that, but the basics for me, were learned by hardwiring relays.

I guess nowadays, all that stuff is outdated and it's done primarily from a software platform, but I personally needed the hands on approach to help me understand better.

plc_padawan said:
I guess nowadays, all that stuff is outdated and it's done primarily from a software platform, but I personally needed the hands on approach to help me understand better.

Actually, My PLC courses I took in college (Electrical Engineering), just 2 years ago, did the exact same thing.

We started on big relay boards, with multiple types of switches (maintained, pushbuttons, spring return, 2 and 3 position, etc.) and there were relays with NC and NO contacts, and time delay on/off relays. We had to wire these up, in progressively more complex ways. Then we moved on to PLCs and started all over again with the basics we had started with on the actual relay boards. Our instructor showing us the similarities between what we had physically wired previous, and what we were virtually wiring in the PLC.

I'm sure most people would agree that the best way to understand ladder logic is to learn what it was designed after first, then move on to the computer part of it.

My first PLC course involved wiring up a bunch of solid state logic relays. You were alloted 1000 of these relays to control a conveyor system. It took up approximately an 8' x 6' panel, and the relays were stacked 3 deep (and it convered the panel up pretty good).

Only once you had mastered that, were you allowed to tackle the PLC itself. I know this much - it made the PLC much easier to deal with!

Kids aren't getting lazier.

Old coots aren't getting more crochety.

That doesn't mean I won't get irritated by guys wanting a free ride. I did when I was younger, too. I don't ever intend to suffer fools gladly, nor should I.