Transfer pulse over a long distance

s10jam

Hello. I have very little experience with PLCs so please bear with me.

Problem: We have a pipe with two meter systems that are 10 miles apart. These meter systems output a square wave pulse that shows how much liquid is flowing through them. If they are equal, everything is fine. If there is significantly more through Meter System A than Meter System B, we know there is a leak. Obviously, we cant just take a 10 mile long wire from Meter System B back to Meter System A to compare them.

Question: With network enabled PLCs, can we configure a PLC at Meter System B to read these pulses and then, over our existing network, recreate these pulses through another PLC at Meter System A for comparison?

Hello. I have very little experience with PLCs so please bear with me.

Problem: We have a pipe with two meter systems that are 10 miles apart. These meter systems output a square wave pulse that shows how much liquid is flowing through them. If they are equal, everything is fine. If there is significantly more through Meter System A than Meter System B, we know there is a leak. Obviously, we cant just take a 10 mile long wire from Meter System B back to Meter System A to compare them.

Question: With network enabled PLCs, can we configure a PLC at Meter System B to read these pulses and then, over our existing network, recreate these pulses through another PLC at Meter System A for comparison?

You could put a PLC at each location, and have them communicate, yes. However, it probably doesn't make sense to try to have the PLC's communicating pulses. I would think it would make more sense to have each PLC monitor its own flow meter, and turn it into an integer/real, and then the PLC's can compare those. I'm not familiar with the process, so I don't know what math would most usefully transform the pulses into data. You could want a first order filter, or an avg of the last 15 minutes, or a running total, maybe.

We have equipment that does the actual comparison at the first station. My main issue is getting the pulses from Meter Station B to Meter Station A.

I may have oversimplified the situation in my original post.

I agree with mk42 in that it makes more sense to have the PLC do the counting and share a real value, unless the pulses are relatively slow, then you may be able to replicate the pulses and keep things simple from the perspective of your existing arrangement. Still, I think you will want to also share a total or engineering unit of value in order to confirm that you have not missed any pulses due to comms losses which can sometimes be beyond your control.

Side question: If we were to only use PLCs as you are suggesting, are there models that would let use use a formula to compare? For example, only trigger an alarm if the flow rates differ by 2%.

Our measuring equipment that is currently connected to each meter adjusts for K factor and temperature to give a a gross corrected volume. This is another reason I will like to leave the current equipment in place.

Do you use a Mag meter or paddle wheel? Regardless of what you use most measurement devices will give you either a 4-20mA or pulse per unit output or both. You can use these outputs for most PLC's and scale them in your PLC to match the measurement device.

FMC MicroFlows. For this customers application, an approved device must be used such as this one. I think our new plan is to use MicroFlows to take in the meter pulse at each location and feed the PLCs GST(not GSV as I stated previously). From there, the PLCs can compare the GSTs and make a decision on whether or not the totals have varied past the preset value.