trouble connecting with slc 504

tedly88

hello all i'm new to the site and looking for some help... i have a slc 504 controller and i'm trying to connect using a null modem cable throught he rs 232 port on the controller. the pin out is correct and i can't establish communications in RS linx. i get a packet timeout when i try the autoconfig... there is a panelview networked through the rs232 port that i am trying to program through that i unplug while trying to connect. when that port is used to connect to a panelview is it set up as a printer port? i also have the 8 pin din connector but i can't find a part number to purchase the correct cable to use that port...

thanks for any help gentlemen

It is possible that the RS232 port's protocol has been set to DH485 for the display. Try using the PIC driver instead of the DF1 driver (using the same cable)

The 8 pin DIN connector is Data Highway Plus (DH+). It is in parallel whith the DH+ connector above it. Unless you have the specific adapter for that you can't use it.

i tried cinfiguring the pic/aic+ driver but it won't let me "start" or run the driver unless i run rs linx as a normal application rather than a service. ???

when i run rs linx as a regular application i get a system conflict from windows xp saying the pic service isn't compatible with xp and will not allow me to run the comm driver.

Click Start > All Programs > Rockwell Software > RSLinx > RSLinx Launch Control Panel.

Stop the service (by pressing the stop button) and uncheck "Always Run As Service". After the box is unchecked, you can click start to get linx running again. Also, I don't believe you can have an RS232 driver and the PIC driver running at the same time.

the driver is running now, i think you were right about the df 1 driver conflicting DMRoeder... i'll give it a shot and see if i can communicate... thanks fellas, very helpful!