Trouble Going Online With Micrologix

BarryL

Lifetime Supporting Member
Thanks to all, I have learned a lot from reading the threads posted on this site.

This is my first attempt to post a thread, so I will try to state the problem clearly.

I am trying to learn as much as I can at home, and be as thrifty as possible. I have the LogixPro CD, and Phil's Book. I have done many of the learning exercises that come with LogixPro, so I am familiar with the basics of ladder logic.

The problem I have with simulators is they do not teach you how to connect and communicate with a real processor. In an attempt to learn this vital skill, I downloaded from Rockwell the free Rslogix 500 Starter For 10 Pt Micrologix 1000 and Rslinx Lite.
I also purchased a Micrologix 1000 Model # 1761-L10BWB Series E
and a 1761-CBL-PM02 Cable, both were bought on Ebay.

When powered up the Micrologix Power and Run leds come on and some of the outputs change state. I believe this indicates that there is a program running in the processor.

When I connect the cable, and start Rslinx, and do the superwho function in Rslinx it shows the processor as active. When I do the diagnostics on the processor it shows communication status active, and packets being sent and received.

When I try to go online with Rslogix it gives an error "No response from processor at selected path/node!" "cannot connect to remote emulator".

Attached is a Word .doc file with screen shots that may help.

I have searched the Rockwell knowledge base, and the help files in Rslinx and Rslogix, but have found no help with this issue.

Thanks in advance.
Barry

When you just pulldown the "Go Online" button, RSLogix attempts to use the RSlinx path that is stored in the Project file. ( Stored in the Processor properties.)

RSLinx can have mulitple drivers active at any one time, to any number of PLC's, so there is no way for RSLogix to "read your mind" to guess which is the one you want to go Online to. So the desired path is stored in the project.

Now your problem is that with a brand new project it is likely that you have no path defined, or if there is one, it is an incorrect or invalid one. To fix this, use the "Who Active GoOnline" tool in the Communications menu, which will open up a small RSWHo window, that will allow you to drill down through the DF1 driver to the MicroLogix, Click on it and you will go online.

Once you are Online the next step is to store this PLC path in the Controller Properties/Communications tab. In that tab it will tell you what drive and processor node and route is stored. If you use Who Active from here you can quickly pick up the path and permantly stored in the project, so that next time you try and go online it will 'know" which RSLinx driver and node to attach to.

Thanks PhilipW

When I go into communications menu and use "WHO ACTIVE GoONLINE" nothing happens.

Maybe I don't have some thing configured right?

Barry

When you open RSLinx, find the drivers section and see if the correct communications driver is specified in RS Linx. Apparently if the driver is not correctly specified it will not work. There was a thread on this topic a while ago. You may be able to find it by doing a search on this site for past posts on setting up communications with this type of PLC. Hope this helps.

If RSLINX is seeing the processor then instead of trying to go online
you must first upload to get what is in the PLC now.Or create a new program offline and download.

Thanks to all for the replies to this post.

You started me thinking about this problem differently, and brought me to the solution.

I had an older version of Rslinx that would not support the Who Active function in Rslogix. I downloaded and installed Rslinx Lite 2.50, and am now able to use the Who Active function. However I still cannot go online, upload or download, because this version 6.10 of Rslogix will only support a series F processor, and I have a series E.

If my goal is to learn all I can about this field, then this has been a good exercise. It caused me to do a lot of research, so I did learn a lot.

If any one else is trying to use the free version of Rslogix 500 Starter For 10 Pt Micrologix 1000 be sure that you get a Series F Micrologix 10 Pt Processor

I have attached some screen shots that document what I stated above.

Barry