Troubleshooting Micrologix 1500

ShankarS1

The situation:
Micrologix 1500 controller with 4 - 1769-IA81 input modules and 1 - 1769-OW81 output module. It appears that a fault caused a feedback to a channel on the output module; there was a flash of fire and the module was burnt. Afterwards, the Fault led on the controller was flashing red.

There is no RSlogix 500 available.
How can i tell if the damaged hardware caused the flashing red?
How can i tell if the program is lost? there is no backup program.
Can RSLinx Professional be used to troubleshoot anything? There is something about RSWho here http://mechatronics-mec.org/downloads/RSLinx.pdf

Thank you

How can i tell if the damaged hardware caused the flashing red?

You are going to have to get RSLogix500.

Contact your local AB repr.

How can i tell if the program is lost? there is no backup program.

There is a good chance that is what happened.

Can RSLinx Professional be used to troubleshoot anything?

No, RSLinx is a communication software only.

If you can get connected thru RSLinx that would be a good sign, but you still need RSLogix500 at that point.

Last edited:
It is very likely that the damaged module is causing the fault. MicroLogix controllers will always fault if they cannot communicate with one or more of the I/O modules.

The fact that the fault LED is flashing is good; if it were solid red that would indicate a CPU failure.

Try switching the RUN/PROG toggle switch back and forth a few times. When it goes to RUN mode it will fault, but after a PROG/RUN/PROG cycle the fault LED should be extinguished.

If you have RSLinx Professional, you could use the Data Table Monitor to read the Status data table and figure out the exact fault code.

RSLinx Lite, the free version, will not monitor data tables. It will, however, attempt to "browse" the controller which will let you see if the controller's program name is "DEFAULT" or if the name indicates there is a user program installed.

If you have no other tools, you should at least use RSLinx Lite to attempt to browse the controller and determine if there is a user program still installed in it.

Thank you for a helpful response Ken. Suppose i try this -
1. remove the defective output module.
2. re-install the terminator on the next module (AC input module).
3. Switch the RUN/PROG switch back and forth (do i need a special tool/key for this?)
If the program is still intact in the controller and the flashing red fault light clears, will the PLC run without the defective output module? The necessary outputs are mostly on the outputs of the controller and those on the defective output module are not that essential at this time.

Thank you

You will have to replace the damaged module.

MicroLogix and SLC-500 controllers are extremely conservative with their I/O system integrity. If a module is in the program but not physically present, the controller will not go into RUN mode.

There simply isn't a "make I/O module optional" feature.

The Run/Remote/Program mode switch on the MicroLogix 1500 is a small toggle switch and does not require a key. It's under the hatch on the left side of the CPU module.

Ken Roach said:
...MicroLogix and SLC-500 controllers are extremely conservative with their I/O system integrity. If a module is in the program but not physically present, the controller will not go into RUN mode.

There simply isn't a "make I/O module optional" feature...

Ken,

For SLC 1746 I/O modules that would certainly be the case and the controller will fault on 'I/O Configuration Mismatch' if a defined module is not present, but for MicroLogix controllers there is indeed an option to "Ignore Configuration Error" for each 1762- or 1769- I/O module.

I copy/pasted this from a post I wrote some time ago here on the forum.

The following was in reference to a MicroLogix 1400...

Geospark said:
...Normally, ladder logic cannot exist for I/O addresses that are not present in the defined chassis. So you cannot write the full program, verify, download and test until you have the full complement of hardware for the project.
If you want to define the chassis configuration with modules you don't yet have, you can still download the project to the base for testing without faulting on I/O configuration mismatch.
In 'IO Configuration', drag over the module you want to the required slot, then double-click the module to get 'Expansion General Configuration'. Select 'Ignore Configuration Error' at bottom.
Once all 'virtual' modules are set for this, you can fill the chassis if need be, complete the project's logic and download with no fault. You can even test I/O from the ladder logic for the "virtual" modules and the I/O Data Files will reflect the changes. You can also use the Force Files. Don't forget to set them back when the hardware IS present...

ShankarS1,

Without the program running, and unless it's looking and smelling like it's been barbequed, how can you be so sure that the output module is irreversibly damaged?

ShankarS1 said:
...If the program is still intact in the controller and the flashing red fault light clears, will the PLC run without the defective output module?

...The necessary outputs are mostly on the outputs of the controller and those on the defective output module are not that essential at this time.

If you want to temporarily set 'Ignore Configuration Error' for your 'faulted' module, then you will definitely need RSLogix 500.

Also, while you maintain that the outputs on this module are 'not that essential at this time', please make sure you have considered the possibility that those outputs may be actively driving required inputs, such as limits, etc. Your program, if it's still there, may then not function correctly. If you are sure the outputs are passive, and have no indirect control of other I/O, then you could proceed to try and temporarily disable the module.

Until you know the error in the controller, all that is academic. As advised, checking for communications and processor name in RSLinx would be a good start.

Another thing to consider. The 1769-OW8I has 8 isolated relay outputs, so each output channel is isolated from one another, and each channel is also isolated from the bus. If the fault truly did enter through only one output channel, then it would take a fairly large over-voltage to overcome this dielectric insulation and blow the whole module, and traverse the bus and wipe the controller. If that has happened, I'd be more worried about whether or not other damage has occured?

I've had damaged output channels on these type modules before where the module carried on working afterwards.

George

Ignore_Configuration_Error.jpg

Problem resolved! Thank you!

I cleaned the black burn residue from the burnt module and re-installed it. I then switched the toggle switch a few times which cleared the fault and started the controller running again.

The module is lighting on outputs, so it appears to be functioning. I have the terminal block off with faulted ccts. The required outputs directly from the controller are working normal.

"Muchas Gracias!" to all who assisted me to resolve this problem. I could not have done it without you guys.

"Muchas Gracias!" to all who assisted me to resolve this problem. I could not have done it without you guys.

WOW, you started this in " January 27th, 2014, 10:57 PM"

Now that's dedication.

This "time warp thanking" seems to be on the go this week?

ShankarS1 said:
I cleaned the black burn residue from the burnt module and re-installed it...

I have visions of you having spent the last two years painstakingly cleaning the module only to have refitted it today!

G.