Two NATR one L36ER; possible?

CapinWinky

For reasons, we have a 5370 CompactLogix (the kind with two ethernet ports that can't do dual IP) that needs to talk to two public networks. Instead of a switch that has NAT firmware, it was sent out with two NATR modules. One is doing produced/consumed to another PLC, the other is for SCADA junk or something.

I'm 90% sure you have to set the PLC's default gateway to the NATR private side IP address for it to work and since you can only have one default gateway and I have two NATR, I'm guessing things aren't going to work out. I'm hoping I'm wrong and there is either some way to get the NATR stuff working without setting the default gateway or maybe setting the switch as the gateway and using non-NAT switch magic to route stuff. Maybe there is some way to set non-default gateways in a routing table on the PLC that I've just never seen?

As noted in the final post of this thread, https://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=129211, it is possible to "nest" two NATs with a 5370. It has been working this way for over a year with no issues. The produced/consumed connections are on the inner NAT, and SCADA on the outer. One thing to note is all three networks are different (e.g., 10.100.1.x, 172.16.1.x, and 192.168.1.x), which I believe is a requirement for the NATs.

Last edited:
I was just about to suggest nesting of that sort without even knowing about the previous thread. Refreshing the page saved me from typing up an actual explanation.