Ultra 3000 Drive E21 Error

glenncovington

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all need some help. I have a CNC machine that uses 5 Ultra 3000 servo drives. The X axis drive goes into a E21 fault sporatically.

Occasionally 2 other axis also get an E21 error.

We have replaced the Drive, Encoder Cable, and Servo Motor. The error still exist. It refers to the Auxiliary encoder, but I am not sure what this is. There is the main encoder incorporated in the servo motor, but what is the auxiliary encoder?

Anyone fought the E21 error before and succeeded?

e21.GIF

The auxiliary encoder is not the motor encoder. It is an external device used for following and electronic gearing applications. If you have one, it would be connected to pins 1-9 of connector CN1.

From your screenshot it appears that you are using an auxiliary encoder. I'd suggest checking those connections. It's actually pins 4-9 of CN1.

... Ultra 3000 servo drives. The X axis drive goes into a E21 fault sporatically.
Occasionally 2 other axis also get an E21 error.
Anyone fought the E21 error before and succeeded?
It's noise. In my case, added diodes to solenoids and relays. Added caps to a DC brush motor.
Drives are very sensitive to noise. Check cable routing/grounding. Did someone recently replace a solenoid? Check for missing noise suppression.
Look to see what's turning on/off when you get the fault. Don't need to be driving. You can fault the drives at idle. Manually activate things until you fault the drive(s).