Unable to restore Runtime Application

Sean Teague

I have a .mer file that was sent with a machine we just had built. I opened up the application manager and clicked on restore runtime application.

I get an error message that says its "not a valid runtime application"

Also, i am unable to upload the program from the actual HMI using the Transfer Utility. When i try to do it, it says it not a valid device or something like that.

I am working with a Panelview Plus 7 2711P-T7C22D9P

I have a .mer file that was sent with a machine we just had built. I opened up the application manager and clicked on restore runtime application.

Also, i am unable to upload the program from the actual HMI using the Transfer Utility. When i try to do it, it says it not a valid device or something like that.

you may want to post a screenshot of how you are selecting it, drilling down too deep to select the panelview can cause this.

or your transfer utility is too far outdated for the panelview firmware.

if its a new build, then i'm guessing you don't have the right version of the software to be able to upload or restore it.

Making sure the .mer is not a higher version than your FT Studio installation is definitely the first step to take regarding the inability to restore. If your transfer utility is a recent release it will show what version a selected .mer file is when going to upload/download it.

See this thread for a couple potential causes of the 'Source selected is not a valid device' error in the transfer utility.

I just figured out that the HMI program is v12 and the highest software i can download is v11 since we got rid of our tech connect contract last year :confused:šŸ™ƒ

I just figured out that the HMI program is v12 and the highest software i can download is v11 since we got rid of our tech connect contract last year :confused:šŸ™ƒ

Newer Studio versions can create older .mer versions. Ask the manufacturer to supply you with a v11 .mer file -- unless it uses a feature added in v12 they should be able to do so pretty trivially.

Note that you can upgrade the Transfer Utility for free even without Tech Connect, that should let you upload/download.

James, he stated that they had it made for them so they do not have the programming computer.
One option would be to get the machine manufacture to make a version 11 file and down grade the PV firmware to version 11 so that it can be worked on in house.

James, he stated that they had it made for them so they do not have the programming computer.
One option would be to get the machine manufacture to make a version 11 file and down grade the PV firmware to version 11 so that it can be worked on in house.
There is no particular need to downgrade the PV firmware if he is willing to upgrade his transfer utility (free download from Rockwell, no contract required); the PV should be able to run the older version .mer without issues.

Tell them to make the correct version of runtime file for your current machine first. Get the HMI running first. You can download upgrade or downgrade firmware, and try them out on your pc later.

I'd also ask them to back up the application and send the resulting .apa file.

Its more preferable to restore an application than to restore a runtime file. Unless RA fixed it, you may not get some communication configuration if you restore a runtime.

Tell them to make the correct version of runtime file for your current machine first. Get the HMI running first. You can download upgrade or downgrade firmware, and try them out on your pc later.

The machine is currently running. I just wanted to add a button to the screen, but i am unable to.