Unitary, modular and rack mounted PLCs

HNC is a 1 year certification program that may be followed by obtaining an HND (2 year program) then a Bachelor's degree.
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/HNC

When I first came here I got into several heated discussions about the attitude towards students, back then these questions got asked constantly.

I understand the question itself is stupid and in some cases the students are lazy BUT this coursework was designed years ago and they dont seem to offer textbooks with answers to some of these ridicolous questions. The program itself needs to be overhauled...IMHO.

The main problem is that many of these people are just kids that probably didnt get the education they should have when in grade school/high school (or whatever they call it over the pond). This issue is just as bad in the US. They throw books at them then give them tests but dont show or involve them in learning HOW TO LEARN....HOW TO ASK QUESTIONS etc.

To be a teacher requires a 4 year or better education, thorough background check in many places, involves long hours either doing an enormous amount of paperwork or dealing with 15 to 25 children that arent theirs. What kind of pay do they get? NOT NEAR ENOUGH. The salary range is somewhere between 25000 and 55000 in the US overall but dont expect to find many 3rd grade teachers making 55K.

Maybe these students could make more effort in alot of cases but I decided long ago to give them the benefit of the doubt. I try to give them the information they need to assist them in doing the work theirself.

What I do believe is that if you are derisive, offensive, etc towards a student then you are teaching them to be that way, they learn from example.

I will jump with both feet on a professional that makes a stupid statement or mistake....as I want to be jumped on if I do it. We have been around long enough to know better, these kids are just starting.

I will continue to offer things like the link I posted above to help these students (young or old) to help themselves. I dont believe the criticism etc is productive for them or the person that does it, it creates a habit that gets passed on from generation to generation.

Think about this:
When your 5 year old asks where babies come from do you tell him/her that the question is stupid? How many times has that question been asked?

If your high school/teenage child doesnt understand how to obtain the hypotenuse of a right triangle ....do you tell him/her they are stupid?

Many of you pride yourself in your abilities and professionalism but if an employer or customer asked you what a "brick" or that "blackbox" or ???..WAS then you would politely explain it.

Are you being derisive towards the students because you can with them but cant with the employer/customer?

These are just my thoughts on this subject. Please do not take offense because the statements are not aimed at any person(s) on this or any forum.

Ron I hope you know I respect you and your points, all of which hold validity. If, however, the course is old and the text outdated, maybe the instructor should quit testing on the outdated information.

To Mike's point earlier, you should want students to think. But you shouldn't corral them into thinking inside someone's OLD box.

Ron,

You have made a very good point, and I fully respect your statement. Additionally I will appologize for possably having offended the student.

However......

If I were requested to define unitary, modular, rack mount, or brick PLC, I would be compelled to answer in the following manner:

"Old, obsolete, and vague terms, with many different meaning to many different people, commenly used by thoes parroting them from now obsolete educational texts, and not well versed and or expireanced in the praticable applications, or in the endless possable configurations or applications, of Programmable Logic Controllers."

In this context I really dont think that the clear cut answers of A^2 + B^2 = C^2, or Storks is a very good analogy. Vague questions usually result in a vague response.

So you may have (did actually) provided the student with the answer we all know his/her instructor is likely looking for..thats ok, but in addition, I also firmly believe that we would do a just service by explaining that the questions and answers, in todays context, are actually no longer valid and really do not apply in the manner that is being implied by the instructor and text. How it was done on this and other threads, as you pointed out, did lack a sense of professional decourm, so I'll apologize for my part in it.

Thank you for the cold water treatment. Mike.

It might be interesting for nursie to print this entire post for
her instructor. Also provide this web site to have him or her respond
to all of your posts. ( grade them as well )

They do not ask about a "shoebox" PLC. Probably have not caught up with that one yet.

elevmike said:
Mark,

Not so say that this directly applies to the stupid question, but I think it's good practice for the instructor to encoruage students to go out and find answers on their own. Whereas in the real world you will many times need to develop your own resoceses to answer your own questions. And guess what. This fourm is one of thoes resources! That stands for you and me both.

However the fact of the matter is that the "unitary" question belongs in the urinal. banghead

Just last week, I had my Java instructor say that as students, we are responsible to know everything in the assigned reading material, including topics not covered in class.

Bob

I would just like to clarify one of Ron's points, especially as we are talking about the British education system.

The HNC is not a one year certification, it is a two year certification, after 'passing' the HNC, the student can go straight onto a degree course, there is no need to take the HND. The HNC will gain you credits for the degree course.

Apart from that, I think Ron is spot on!

The examining board are the ones that set the context of the course, not the lecturers, they just teach what they are told to teach. They have to cover all topics that the students might come across in the exams, if that includes outdated terminology, then so be it.

In my eyes, the examining board for the HNC, EdExcel are a bunch of prats, they seem to make a mess of various exams each year, not only the HNC exam but various high school exams as well.

These 'stupid' student questions are not the problem on this forum, the problem is the 'lazy' students who want us to do their work for them. Nursiejennie is probably frustrated at not being able to find any references to the terms used, so she (or is it he?) thinks, "I know I'll ask the worlds finest PLC programmers around and post a message on PLCs.NET, they are sure to know what I am talking about..."

Paul

P.S Lucky for me, this forum didn't exist when I done my HNC many moons ago :rolleyes:

I think I overstated my point. I provide links where the person can read about the subject in question. I dont know of anyone that can answer a question if the information is not provided somehow.

I dont think the problem is lazy students but I agree there will always be those. There are lazy instructors too.

Some of these people/kids/students are in a new world for them. Their experience with industrial machinery would be non existent, they would not know what is relevant and what isnt. I believe many classes in high school and colleges have areas that are not relevant to real life but it is necessary for a passing grade.

My point was about US and our attitudes for students. We are suppose to be professionals and adults. What are the students being taught when insulted and told they are stupid and lazy.

If you have/had a 5 year old child and they walked up to and asked "Where do babies come from?" Would you tell them that is a stupid question?

No it is not different, its a young person with no references or prior experience on the subject.

What happens with kids when they are teased, bullied, told they are stupid, lazy etc. They learn that in the real world you always tease, bully, demean anyone that doesnt know what you do.

In some cases it may be the students that are lazy but wouldnt lazy apply to those that took the time to ridicule etc but never took to the time to find out that the HNC/NYC textbooks do not provide the answers to all questions which is common for alot of curriculum anywhere.

All of this is just my opinion, teasing, joking etc is part of life. In many cases people like being teased but there is a line where the teasing etc can become cruel and demeaning.

Maybe some of the students are lazy but maybe its more a lack of experience, good training, good instructors and people that care enough to help.

The unitary, modular, rack question may seem irrelevant but it is background information pertaining to plc's. At one time there was alot of differences between these types but we know that technology has changed or eliminated alot of those, these students dont know this yet. Technically this question may give them their first look at the physical components involved.

I just try to give the benefit of the doubt and offer reading material with relevant information.