Unitary, modular and rack mounted PLC

The following is entirely conjecture:

I think that back in the 1980's, when PLC's were still evolving, someone came up with a new style PLC. Instead of having a single box with X number of inputs of type M and Y number of outputs of Type N, some engineer came up with the concept of putting the data and address bus in a single rack, similar to the way many "rack mounted," systems were operating at the time.

Anyway, this engineer got the project to a point that the concept seemed to be an improvement on the existing I/O pre-defined PLC's that were the norm in industry. Marketing needed a way to show the world that this was the way to go.

Some bright marketing type said, "Let's call the old style the 'single unit' PLC, and our NEW one a 'modular' PLC." This got debated until "single unit" became the "Unitary" PLC.

Of course, at another company, they had a fixed number of slots pre-determined in their rack, and called it "rack mounted," again taking its cue from marketing.

Then, around that time, someone was making up the curriculum for some standardized testing. They said, "Hey, the people should know the difference between these systems, since the salesmen think it is so important..."

And the rest is history....

</conjecture>

Twenty or so years ago here in the United States, there was a 'standard' 19" rack. Lots of electronic devices like PLCs, computers, monitors, amplifiers, flux capacitors, and rheostatisticians were packaged so that they could be mounted in these racks.

As electronic equipment has gotten progressively smaller over the years, the 19" rack has fallen out of favor. Today, the preferred standard is the DIN rail. That's a German standard. DIN stands for Deutsche Industriegenuflect fur Normallische.

All Unitary PLCs, and some Modular PLCs can be mounted on DIN rails. Rack-mounted PLCs are incompatible with DIN rails.

Note to NitrogenY3K:
There is some truth and a lot of fiction in the above. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. All generalisations are false, including this one.

RACK MOUNT

I think Rack Mount is something that a taxidermists does after stretching the hide, and deciding to leave it on the stretcher.

And maybe not...

Terrific Aurora Borealis Sunday night 11/6/04, looking forward to better light show tonight and tomorrow...

regards.....casey

rsdoran said:
Where do you live that 11/06/04 was a Sunday?
Pass what your having this way.

I think Casey turned his clock back a DAY instead of an hour the weekend before... ;)

Then again, Casey's time zone is CST. That's Casey Standard Time... :p

beerchug

-Eric

Then ther is the Casey Callender, where the week starts on Monday, and you have a week END.

All holidays fall on Monday, including July 4 and Thanksgiving.

No more having a Wednesday or Thursday holiday, and having to go back to work for one or two days.

With the Casey Callender, ALL Contract and Temp employees, are paid for the extended Christmas shutdown, that I got shafted out of for 10 or 15 years.

Now that I'm self employed, more or less, I'm just shafted, period.

regards all.....casey

BTW

We need a holiday around August 1, no sense in going two monthhs with out one.

The revised Casey Callender has ALL MOndays off, for holiiday. everyone gets a three day weekend, lots of holidays, and vacation time stretches out farther.

Last edited:
hi, i have an assignment for college in which i must chose a plc on the net which suits the specification given in the assignment, the only problem is i cant seem to find a site that will give me a price without registering first, can you help me please

hi, i have an assignment for college in which i must chose a plc on the net which suits the specification given in the assignment, the only problem is i cant seem to find a site that will give me a price without registering first, can you help me please

See links below.

http://selprod.rockwellautomation.c...docs/template/pagetemplate.txt&pageId=welcome

http://shop.rockwellautomation.com/...fldfhi.0&myCategory=/Programmable+Controllers

http://web6.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers

Bubba.. Log onto RS components. You can see all the prices!

I agree with the comment on "Reading". I have reached that age where all my kids assignments involve the *****ing internet! What is the point?

Hello, for an assignment in college i have been asked to describe a network that may be used in a PLC system and include a description of the relevant standards and protocols used, can you please provide me with some useful links or information on this?