Unrecognized Device on SLC5/05

Benyamin

I have difficulty in connecting to SLC505, there was a message appeared on RSLinx as: "Unrecognized Device" which prevented me to access slc505 from my laptop through Ethernet (channel1).
But I could connect to it through channel 0 by using 1747-CP3 cable without any issue.
Let me tell you what I had:
RSLogix500, ver. 8.20
RSLinx Classic, ver.2.55.00.16
AB Crossover cable
SLC5/05 IP address
Laptop IP address
EDS file for SLC5/05: 0001000E00150300.eds
I am sure there are something wrong, so I do need help from an expert to guide me.
I appreciate to anybody who would solve my problem.

Best regards,

Benyamin

That ought to be the correct EDS file.

Did you register the EDS using the EDS Hardware Installation Tool ? It has to be registered, not just placed in the RSCommon/EDS directory.

http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=EN/0001000E00150300.eds

Always save to the desktop or another location; never attempt to run the EDS Hardware Installation Tool on an EDS file that's already in the RSCommon/EDS directory.

I can't hurt to try to update RSLinx Classic to version 2.59; version 2.55 is six or seven years out of date.

I had a problem connecting to a 5/05 via Ethernet until I found out that the computers and the 5/05's IP addresses have to be of the same family (same first 3 groups of numbers in IP) else RSLinx doesn't see it at all - but still gives a "Found Node" report with a comm's error. I have had RSLinx find nodes when I had no Ethernet cable connected to my laptop & the wireless turned off, so it couldn't have found any node.

If the 5/05's IP is something like 192.168.1.?? then your computer's IP HAS to start with 192.168.1.

Good point, Aabeck; we didn't verify for certain that he has good IP connectivity to the SLC-5/05 Ethernet port in the first place.

I start with PING, as in "PING 192.168.1.100" from the Command Prompt.

Then I point a Web browser at it, "http://192.168.1.100" to see the embedded Web page.

And only then do to go to troubleshooting with RSLinx Classic.

Good method, Ken.

Also, I forgot to mention that the Subnet should be set to 255.255.0.0 in the network settings.

The subnet depends on your IP range, and really does not matter to much as long as they are the same. Unless you start adding different subnets.

Let's not make any assumptions about the OP's network addresses or subnet mask.

This is basic IP and Ethernet stuff that he should figure out before he goes into trying to troubleshoot RSLinx.

The most common problem I see when people have just their PC and the PLC connected with a crossover cable is that they are still configured for DHCP, as though they were connected to their office or home network. Because they are still waiting for an IP address from the DHCP server, they don't have an IP address and can't talk to the controller.

The second most common problem I see in such a circumstance is that they have multiple network adapters active at the same time, such as WiFi and wired Ethernet. While you can configure RSLinx to stick with a specific network interface, it's best to just reduce the PC to one NIC while you're troubleshooting.

Dear All,
Finally I get through to access slc505 channel 1 ethernet, by turned off all unecessary networking connections, thank you all for the valuable input.

Which driver did you use within your ver 2.55 Rslinx Classic to get this all working? I only have two listed "Ethernet" drivers in the pull down within linx. All I have is "Ethernet Devices" and "Ethernet/IP Driver." How did you configure the driver you selected exactly? This is my first time playing with a 505 (1747-L552) and I have the same X'd-out "Unrecognized Device" with a question mark icon in Rslinx.

I could connect to it through channel 0 by using 1747-CP3 cable without any issue
This 505 is fresh out of the box. I slid it into a 4-slot rack and the FLT light was flashing. I was able to download a program to it using the method you did using channel 0. Ran a simple test program, fault light went away, no problem.

I'm sure my issue is just me not knowing much about network configuration and communications. I can admit that. I don't even know what an EDS file is and what it is for. Not being at work right now, I believe one issue I have from just reading the previous posts, was the crossover cable. I never thought to check that when I grabbed the nearest cat5 cable I found. It was probably a straight-thru. :confused:

I'm new to such a widely used method of communication. I've been stuck in RS485/DH485 land for awhile now. It seems easier to me. I connect it up, it talks, its done. No IP addresses, no sub-netting, no BOOTP, no DHCP, etc. it just works.

I've tried reading parts of the 296 page SLC500 A-B manual and even the 70 page "quick start" guide for ethernet processors and that only got me so far due to my ignorance. Not to mention, it gave me a huge headache! o_O

Any help or even some direction on where I can learn is greatly appreciated.

For now, off to google and youtube to see what I can gather. đź“š

see if this helps ... if you still can't get it to communicate, give us some more details - and maybe some screen shots - and someone will give you a hand ...

you'll need to use the Ethernet Devices driver in RSLinx (specifically, NOT the Ethernet/IP driver) ... you'll type in the SLC's IP address when you configure the driver in RSLinx ...

Channel_1_SLC505.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for responding Mr. Beaufort. I feel privileged to be acknowledged by someone who I should be attending his courses. :geek:

I'll give it another go again tomorrow when I get to work. Unfortunately, I can't bring this stuff home. I really wish I could. I could probably solve a lot more wearing pajama pants and a couple cold beers to drink. Not to mention I'd be able to take screen shots.

Ok, I think I got it figured out. I had a little more time to play today and had a few "ah-ha!" moments, gotta love those. Just for the sake of sharing and being able to revisit this info later, here is what I learned. This may be a lot of trivial and old information for all you experienced gurus out there, so I'm sorry if I bore you. Now might be a good time to stop reading. :nodi:

you'll need to use the Ethernet Devices driver in RSLinx (specifically, NOT the Ethernet/IP driver)

Although the "Ethernet Devices" driver worked a tad better, the Ethernet/IP driver did work. I believe my overall error in communication was simple (relatively speaking) network addressing. Either I entered the subnet wrong in the channel configuration in RSlogix500 or I forgot to disable the BOOTP. I'm not entirely sure. Everything seemed to work fine after I entered the laptop's network TCP/IP configuration and just assigned it its own IP address instead of dynamic assignment. I never really had to do this on my home stuff, so my experience on this was sketchy.

Using the "Ethernet devices" (AB_ETH-1) driver showed an actual icon of the PLC in RSlinx, showing a 3 or 4 slot rack. It showed the "address" being the assigned IP address, the "device type" as a SLC-5/05, the "online name" as labeled in RSlogix under the assigned processor name (that was cool), the "status" showed what mode the processor was in (run, remote program, etc.)

Using the "Ethernet/IP"(AB_ETHIP-1) driver showed only an icon of what looked like just the CPU card. It had all the description locations that the AB_ETH-1 driver had above, except the "online name" was more of the model number of the CPU, and not the user assigned processor name ("1747-L552/C C/11-DC3.46"), and the "status" showed it as simply "OK," never telling me what mode the processor was in.

Communication and going online with the SLC505 was pretty much the same between the two different Ethernet drivers. However; I did discover than both communicated just fine with or without a crossover cat5 cable. This was a direct link to the SLC505 channel 1 ethernet port and the ethernet port on the laptop.

Also discovered, when both ethernet drivers were stopped or disabled in RSlinx via driver configuration screen the Ethernet Devices driver (AB_ETH-1) would show the true status by X-ing out the device in rslinx. The Ethernet/IP (AB_ETHIP-1) driver stayed active and continued to show a "OK" status. I didn't understand that, still don't.

Now o_O..., I need to figure out how to see the DH485 network that is wired up to channel 0 of the SLC505. So I can talk to (download/upload) to DH485 devices through the SLC505, via ethernet. That would be awesome, since all I would need to talk to the whole set up is one Cat5 cable. And this would allow me to combine some newer hardware with the older hardware that is already being used.

In particular, I have an old PV600 standard that uses the outdated Panelbuilder32 program that is linked to the SLC505's channel 0 (rs232 configured for dh485) via a 1761-NET-AIC (PV600-->NET-AIC--->SLC505 CHAN0). In order for me to download a program to the PV600 I have to hook up the 1761-NET-UIC usb adapter to the laptop and to the NET-AIC to access the DH485 network, in addition to the already wired up Cat5 cable. It seems a bit much. I saw in one of the 505's chapters a "passthru feature." It looks a bit hairy. :eek:

Ron, your posted picture did help refresh my memory to check that addressing again. Thanks!

Sorry for blabbing away :rolleyes:. If you read through this whole post you must be terribly bored or very interested.

Either way, thanks for listening! (y)