Unusual Switch / sensor needed Very Small.

milmat1

I need to detect the motion of a netting material as it moves by a small window.
The material is a monofilament netting with 3/4" squares. I can use a very tint whisker / wobble stick type of switch if I could find one.
An optical sensor of any type might be hard to use. It would need a small sensing window(length) because of other parts below the netting.

Anyone know of a manufacturer of very small limit / whisker / wobble switches..?

I could let the whisker stick down into the squares, it would "Bump" as the material went past. It would have to have a very low tension...

Any Ideas???

How about a small adjustable capacitive type proximity sensor.
http://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/prox12mmcapcm.pdf

You can mount the sensor against the glass window and adjust the sensitivity to tune out the glass. Anything touching the glass should then trigger the sensor.

Note: This would have to be experimented with to ensure it would work in your application.

Just a thought,
Regards,

I used the term window, but it isn't an actual window. I just have a small "Area" to look through...Sorry !!

The proximity capacitive sensor may still work for your application. If you use a shielded type that is threaded to the end.
You would have to test to pick up the netting material.

Agreed, I see some that are 6 - 30 mm and adjustable with both foreground and background suppression...IF they will detect the small surface area of the netting ?

20160810_132920.jpg

DSC01038_1.jpg

You said you can drop a whisker type switch down into the netting? Could you put a reflector on the other side and use a retroreflective photoeye? There are also other style beam sensors that would detect the breaks in the beam as the webbing passed. Should be fairly inexpensive too.

What if you have the movement of the netting force the rotation of a roller , and sense the movement of the roller . Just a thought.