USB to Serial adapters and Laptops

Big John T said:
Just an update the Keyspan has been online with a 5/03 for over an hour!!! What a difference from the ratshack cr*p adapter...

I'm leaving it on all weekend...

John
Just a "me too" on the keyspan. It works fine for me. The only problem I ever had was trying to use the autoconfigure in RSLogix, but if I set the baud, etc. manually, it would connect.

Big John T said:
I know we are all familiar with the laptop and no serial port problem. I have been fighting it for a while. I could get almost no connection through RSLinx with my laptop and a ratshack USB to serial thingy. I have the better one comming today. I spent 2 hours the other night removing all the **** programs on my new laptop that the manufactures stick on there. It made a huge improvement in my connection to a PLC via RSLinx. I was able to stay on line with the PLC for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Next I will do a clean install of XP to see if that improves it any more. Then a clean install of 2000 Pro, If that don't fix it Dude I'm getting a Dell with a serial port!

It makes me wonder if there is some configuration settings that will improve it more???

Just thought I'd share this with you...

John

Always had great success with this PCMCIA serial port working with Rockwell products

http://www.quatech.com/catalog/rs232_pcmcia.php

Too bad they don't put PCMCIA slots in laptops anymore... The put an "express" slot now. I don't see one for the "express" slot...

Does your adapter work with a PIC module?

If not then the Keyspan is much more affordable...

Just an update the Keyspan will stay on line until the laptop goes to sleep... gotta find the switch for that one while I'm plugged in. I think it is in several places that you have to disable it...

John

jrwb4gbm said:
Just a "me too" on the keyspan. It works fine for me. The only problem I ever had was trying to use the autoconfigure in RSLogix, but if I set the baud, etc. manually, it would connect.

Auto configure works for me. I did delete all the junk software from my laptop and do a clean install of the OS. The connect time is very short like a second or two from the time I pick "Go Online" to getting the green light with the Keyspan...

John

I have used a "Socket" PCMCIA Serial port card with SLC series hardware as well as C-Scape.
XLe series Horner in particular.
I haven't tried the AB PIC module with it, if I do I'll drop a note on here.

There are some AB drivers that will lock up your laptop... and that is another story, but the one that you would normally use for DF1 serial communications work fine with the Keyspan USB to serial adapter. In fact I left my laptop on line all day yesterday with a 5/03 in my shop and never dropped the line or had an error. I'm going to throw the ratshack one in the trash when I get to the shop this morning... I may shoot it first... Yea, it's going to get shot up with a 45 real bad this morning... That always makes you feel better to shoot up some cr*p equipment with your coffee...

John

ric_santos said:
I think you will find that PCMCIA Serial adapters work much better than USB Serial adapters.

If you don't have the slot for a PCMCIA it doesn't matter if it works better. If you buy a laptop off the shelf it comes without serial port and with an "express" slot. Your only choice is USB to Serial Adapters! The Keyspan works for me better (stays on line longer) than the native serial port on my old laptop did!

John

I use a PCMCIA RS-232 adapter. Unlike USB RS-232 adapters, these have hardware UARTs. The USB -> RS-232 implementation seems a bit cobbled together to me. I've never seen it work very well, no matter what application. I think this is due to the fact there's no true RS-232 driver to handle the comms.

The particular card I use is made by Socket Communications. I got the ruggedized version with 2 serial ports. Never have a problem with it.

Just be aware that it will not work with a 1747-PIC, for that you will need the 1747-UIC.

For the most part just about anything may work with RS232 and DF1 but DH485 and DH+ gets a little more complicated.

sethen320 said:
I use a PCMCIA RS-232 adapter. Unlike USB RS-232 adapters, these have hardware UARTs. The USB -> RS-232 implementation seems a bit cobbled together to me. I've never seen it work very well, no matter what application. I think this is due to the fact there's no true RS-232 driver to handle the comms.

The particular card I use is made by Socket Communications. I got the ruggedized version with 2 serial ports. Never have a problem with it.

The PCMCIA would be great if laptops did not have "express" slots. No matter how great it works if you can't jam it into the slot it is useless! The Keyence USB to Serial works better than some onboard serial ports for me... YMMV

John

The 1747-UIC is DH485 not DF1.

And I can tell you that most USB to Serial adapters won't work with AB on RS232 using DF1. I have two here that got shot up this morning. One was a RatShack and the other one is in too many pieces to tell what the origin is...

John