USB to Serial converter

BobB said:
The thing I really loved about the laptop was HP placed a button in front of the touch pad. You could turn the touchpad on and off. Really marvellous. No more typing rubbish in the middle of nowhere. I am sure most of you know what I mean. Unfortunately that wonderfull feature has yet to migrate to the Compaq laptops.
If it has a Synaptics touch pad, try cranking up the 'PalmCheck' setting.

palmcheck.jpg

🍻

-Eric

LOVE XP!!! It only falls over and produces the blue screen of death half as often as previous versions!

I cannot remember if it was here or somewhere else but someone reported getting a red screen of death with XP. Does that mean the laptop is about to explode?

Yeah but it only does it at that most critical moment when you want it to. Try and recreate it to show IT what happens and it wont play ball.
Old dos is good but most of he big players have upgraded and if you ring for assistance those versions are rarely supported or the guy on the end of the phone says "Before my time"

There is also the option of buying a true uart 16550 serial port as an add in PCMCIA card. Ive found them to be every bit as good as a built in serial port.

BobB said:
I have purchased a HP recently with a real serial port. It is really a re-badged Compaq. So happy I got away from the USB/serial converters and I had a good one that was sold by Omron and worked really well to any PLC I connected to. The problem was big footed electricians in plant rooms falling over your cables all the time eventually destroyed the USB ports on the laptop. I can screw the cable into the serial port. Not to say that the serial port will survive either.

The laptop was a HP XE3. The thing I really loved about the laptop was HP placed a button in front of the touch pad. You could turn the touchpad on and off. Really marvellous. No more typing rubbish in the middle of nowhere. I am sure most of you know what I mean. Unfortunately that wonderfull feature has yet to migrate to the Compaq laptops.

My Compaq which is a little over 2 years old has that feature to turn off the touchpad....its got a real serial port too!(y)

My Compaq which is a little over 2 years old has that feature to turn off the touchpad....its got a real serial port too!(y)Yesterday 10:22 PM

I got dudded again!!!