User Authentication/Authorization Using RFID tags/cards in FactoryTalk View ME

cschlue

Is there a standard method for using RFID tags to handle user authentication with FactoryTalk ME? I've currently got several panels using the standard user/password authentication method that we would like to switch to using the same RFID cards we use with our security system. Is something like this possible? I've also got panels running Factory Talk View ME on windows 7 embedded as well.

While i haven't used one with Factorytalk I have tried several different badge readers connected to HMIs and PLCs for operator authentication.
Currently have been using ones by RFIDeas - https://www.rfideas.com/products/readers

They can come as USB, RS232 or ethernet. they can be configured as Keystroking, non-keystroking or ASCII.

We just have our operators use the same badge that lets them in the building. security exports a database we can use to compare to at the machine level and control user levels.

Str8jCkt, just wanted to reply that using the scanner as a wedge worked just fine on the AB HMI's and I only had to configure a hotkey on the scanners for a login button so it was automatic.