Using a non AB HMI

swtcorrado

I have a limited background on the subject so please bare with me. My experience is mostly with the mechanical aspects of the process;)

We have a conventional diecasting machine being controlled by a AB slc5/02 1747-L524 and a panelview600 HMI. The panelview in on the fritz and constantly throwing up error messages and needs to be rebooted constantly to remove the message. It's frustrating, time consuming and a real pain during machine setups.

We want to replace the panelview but I've found AB products to be overly expensive and limiting. I have been considering replacing it with an 8" C-more touch panel from automation direct. They're reasonably priced and claim to be compatible.

Can one of you guru's give me a run down to what would be involved in switching to a C-more touch panel. I'd like to maintain the current graphic page layout and interface if possible. I'm thinking there's going to be issues with data input as there's no stand alone hard keys or "F" keys.

Let me know if this is a complicated retro fit and I'm better off just picking up a used panelview from ebay;)

:beerchug:Cheers:beerchug:

Dan

Touchscreens will have pop-up keyboards or number pads that take the place of hard/F keys. No matter what mfg of HMI product you choose that is different than the PV, some design work will have to into to it to re-construct the PV's screens (you didn't mention how many). So there is the wild-card cost. Yes, you can replace the PV but will the amount of design work to make it functional for your application exceed the cost of a used replacement.

Well it is a double sided sword. The application totally dictates how hard the conversion is. I used a few C-more on stamping presses years ago they didn't last anytime. The vibrations destroyed them. The standard PV are tough as nails compared to others.
with all that being said I would use a RedLion G3 they make a great unit that has stood up to anything I have used them on. The programming conversion can be a bear if you have never done one. We can help you with it if need some help.

Are you certain it is the panelview itself an not something wrong with the comm cables/connections?

The amount of effort needed to re-do the project is directly related to the size of the application and the ability of the person performing the change.

Thanks for the quick replies, I have some knowledge in programming AB's but absolutely none when in comes to operator interfaces. The C-more software is cheap at $130. I'm just wondering if the learning curve is worth it. The interface would sit in a separate enclosure away from moving equipment and also has a plexiglass cover with an environment seal so it should be safe and cozy.

This exercise is more about cost and simplicity. I guess I need to concisely state my questions.

Would I be able to upload the PV file into the C-more software and from there tweak it to work?

Would I then be able to connect to the plc via DH485 and be off to the races?

Damian-
Pretty sure it's just a faulty panel. I did some research on it a few months back and it seems to be a fairly common problem without any real solution. I don't remember off hand the error (I'm working from home at the moment) But "error 60" rings a bell. Anyway definitely thinking about replacing.

Damian-

So how does one go about interfacing the two. I'm assuming write a new program for C-more by copying the original PV pages and layout manually?

Thanks Jeff, missed your reply while replying;)

I figured as much. Well I guess that's enough to be going on with. I'll download the program demo and see how viable an option it is and whether or not I'm capable;)
Thank you all for your time.

Well it is a double sided sword. The application totally dictates how hard the conversion is. I used a few C-more on stamping presses years ago they didn't last anytime. The vibrations destroyed them. The standard PV are tough as nails compared to others.
with all that being said I would use a RedLion G3 they make a great unit that has stood up to anything I have used them on. The programming conversion can be a bear if you have never done one. We can help you with it if need some help.

Just checked out RedLion G3's and they're twice as much for an 8" interface. It just kills me in this day and age that an Ipad cost $400 but an industrial plastic box with out any of the capability cost 4 times as much.šŸ™ƒ

A new PanelView terminal will fit in the same cutout and you can copy the application file from one to the other with a CompactFlash card.

If it were me, I'd stick with a PanelView 600. I don't build new applications with the fifteen-year-old PanelView Standard platform, but you're not building a new application. PanelView Standard is about the most durable hardware that Rockwell makes.

Just checked out RedLion G3's and they're twice as much for an 8" interface. It just kills me in this day and age that an Ipad cost $400 but an industrial plastic box with out any of the capability cost 4 times as much.šŸ™ƒ

IPADs have the benefit of mass production of many many units - unlike any specific model or brand of industrial HMI.

IPADs have the benefit of mass production of many many units - unlike any specific model or brand of industrial HMI.

Ipads also wouldn't last very long in your typical industrial environment.
Operators wearing gloves covered in who knows what to hammer on the screen? yeah.. there's a reason some of this kit is more expensive :)