Using a non AB HMI

another option would be to have the pv 600 repaired for about half the cost I think. Talk to your local AB rep about it, if you can afford the down time. I have used the c-mores and have seen no problems and their easy to set up with enet but have not done it with dh-485. If you want easy stick with the pv. If you want to learn somthing new go with the c-more. Just remember time is money.
Best Regards, Steve

Cheers Steve, having it repaired is a good idea. I'll look into that. And T=M is very true but we'll have some down time in a couple of weeks so it might work out well.

swtcorrado, the repair/exchange program offered by AB allows (for a few bucks more) 24 hour turnaround. however dont forget backup and reinstall. as Ken Roach said:
you can copy the application file from one to the other with a CompactFlash card.
Best regards, Steve

Does it have to be a specific type of CF card? The manual shows a part number 2711-NM11 and a quick ebay search show prices of $150 for a used 256 memory card. Is that right? I about fell off my chair when I read it. Can an off the shelf card be used instead? What is the interface? Regular old CF type 1 or 2? How should it be formatted? Can I load a *.PVA or *.PBA on to the cf card from my pc and load it onto the PV600?

Sorry about all the questions, but a little research into the matter stirred up a bees nest. I've be cruising the forums for about 3 hours now without any definitive answers. Thanks in advance....

Last edited:
Does it have to be a specific type of CF card? The manual shows a part number 2711-NM11 and a quick ebay search show prices of $150 for a used 256 memory card. Is that right? I about fell off my chair when I read it. Can an off the shelf card be used instead? What is the interface? Regular old CF type 1 or 2? How should it be formatted? Can I load a *.PVA or *.PBA on to the cf card from my pc and load it onto the PV600?

Sorry about all the questions, but a little research into the matter stirred up a bees nest. I've be cruising the forums for about 3 hours now without any definitive answers. Thanks in advance....

This may help, see link below.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=50254

I'll reiterate the basics.

PanelView Standard terminals support two types of PCMCIA memory cards: Linear Flash and ATA Flash.

Linear Flash is the "Betamax" of the flash memory world; tougher, faster, but a little more expensive and entirely obsolete. The original 2711-NM1x cards were Linear Flash. Virtually no PCs made in the past ten years will read linear flash cards.

ATA Flash in PCMCIA format is nearly obsolete, but mostly because of progress. The modern incarnation of ATA Flash involves a CompactFlash card in a PCMCIA Type II carrier. Modern laptop PCs from the past 10 to 5 years have PCMCIA Type II slots that will read these cards.

PanelView Standard terminals need to have firmware version 3 or later to support ATA Flash. They also use only FAT16 file systems, so it's best to let the PanelView format the card then move it to your PC.

Many CF cards with capacities greater than 2 GB can't be formatted for FAT16. Try to find an old 32, 64, 128, 256 MB card.

Ken, thank you for the reply. You pretty much answered all my question and then some. But now I have a couple more;)

How do I check the firmware?
Is the firmware upgradeable?
How does one upgrade the firmware?

Cheers!

There should be a firmware revision noted on the sticker on the back of the terminal. It's also somewhere in the configuration menus and I'm sure it appears during bootup.

All but the very oldest (early 1990's PV550) PanelView terminals can be firmware upgraded over a network or using a memory card. The firmware is included on the CD with PanelBuilder32 or is available from Rockwell Automation Technical Support.

another option, if you have PanelBuilder32 and the original file(be sure) you could down load it to the pv. I dont use pb32 but I think this would work? Maybe ken will chime in on this?

I understand your system is old being that your still using the SLC line of processors.
I would look into using FTME version and replacing the Panelview 600.
Then you would be able to use a PC to run the software and a ELO touchcreen out on the floor...should the touchscreen die you can get a new one for about 500 bucks.

Sounds like a catch 22. I have a malfunctioning panelview600 (circa 1998, with error 60 randomly popping up blue screen) No panelbuilder32 software or cable to upgrade the PV. No AB memory card(ridiculously expensive) to upgrade the firmware (even if I do I can't put the firmware onto it) so that I can use an off the shelf CF card(very cheap). The PLC guy we use manages to cost $500 every time we call him out(not very often thank god).

All this just to reload a 57.5KB program on to some decade old hardware.
Is there a work around? I could buy a 2711-nm1* from ebay but I'm still stuck getting the PV program on to it. I know I can copy the program from the Pv onto the memory card and put the copy of the program onto a replacement PV600. But if the problem is in the program because it's been corrupted some how, I'll be just replicating the problem in a different unit. I really wanted to try and get an original copy of the PV program from the manufacture and copy it over to see if it takes care of the problem. I thought I'd be able to just copy it onto a CF card from my PC and be off to the races.

Are my assumptions correct, or am I going off on a tangent here? Not seeing the forest through the tree's scenario...

Last edited:
Dont give up yet talk to your AB vendor he/she might be willing to help with the program recovery, just to get his foot in the door with your bean counters. Call them tell them your looking a less expensive options with other vendors and see what their willing to do, it can't hurt.
Best regards, steve

I see your issue.
It may simply be time for an upgrade. We recently replaced 1990 version PV for a manufacturer because one went down, and the replacement and upgrade to FTME was cheaper. You will have cost issues with legacy hardware/software.
The panelbuilder software is non licensed which means if you can get the software you can run it.
If the program is corrupt then ... well not much you can do you will be forced to upgrade of re-write the old version if you cant get it from the OEM.

swtcorrado

It sounds to me that you don't have the tools to do this job nor the funds to get them.

You local AB distributor will most likely have someone that can help you convert this to PV plus and make a backup to a flash card if you ever have to replace the panel. Also put the new and the old file on your company server or some sort of cloud storage or both.

The distributor may charge a small fee for this but in most cases they do it for free to keep you buying AB products from them.

IMO this would be the most simple and cost effective option. They could also help you just extract the program and load on a new panelview standard then have your old one fixed and you have a spare. get the distributor to help you get the file on a flash card and you can swap them out if ever needed again and it would be very easy for you.

Just my 0.02 worth.