Using a USB bar code scanner with a PTV

TheBrownGhost

Hello!

I am working on a production line project and need a way to interface a usb bar code scanner (Symbol) to a Red Lion PTV using Crimson 3. I am rather new to Crimson, and from playing around a bit with it, I was not able to find port access for the usb. I figured there would be a way to treat the scanner like a keyboard (as stated in the manual), but was not sure how I would reference this. My goal, for now, is just to get the text from the bar code and display it on the screen.

Thanks in advance for your help!

In Crimson, you can use a USB keyboard to type, but I believe the object must be selected and a keypad on the screen. You are going to want either an TCP/IP or Serial scanner, with an ascii output. You may then need to make a driver, to format the data as needed for display. Or you may simply use the "Port Input" function to move the scan to a tag.

Using the wedge protocol that a lot of scanners and keyboards do the object had to be selected as Brian said. There is no way to remotely select the object input. I also would use a ASCII barcode scanner.

Breaking that string down to display it super easy. You will be surprised how easy after you get the data in.

Any update for serial-to-usb adapter, or did you have to get new serial scanner? I got similar request from a customer, to connect its existing usb scanner to a serial port in our controller