Using Codesys directly for development vs OEM software

greer92

As I understand it, Codesys is the foundation for many different OEM branded HMI software packages.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Codesys directly to do everything, bypassing the OEM software altogether?

I'm aware this is a very open-ended question, and I'm sure some OEMs bake in features to their shells that don't come standard in Codesys. Just looking for some broad guidance and welcome any input or examples on the topic!

With plain CoDeSys that you download you don’t get any targets except run time limited targets for a PC. To develop on PLC hardware, you generally need the manufacturer’s version of CoDeSys. Or, at a minimum, you need the targets to load into the plain CoDeSys.

What I do love about plain CoDeSys is the simulation ability. Combining simulation with the built in visualization tools is a powerful platform for learning and proof of concept work.

Every time I have asked that question to a vendor that advertises that they run CoDeSys, they've looked at me like I grew a second head.

Why would you want to do anything but install "CoDeSys Provided by Festo" or "e!****PIT" or "EcoStruxture" or "SoMachine" or "Automation Builder" or "IndraWorks" or "PLCNext Engineer" ? It's all based on CoDeSys and it comes with all the bundled libraries I need, right ?

Except what if I need to run more than one competing vendor and they conflict or lead me down a rabbit hole of dependencies and libraries and path settings ?

Late last year, Wago decided to provide libraries and target packages for stock CoDeSys v3 that support their PFC200 family controllers. I think that's a step in the right direction.

But really the compatibilty of various CoDeSys libraries is both its greatest benefit and its greatest drawback. Choose the version that supports well something you need, like lots of servos or IOT features or a particular hardware platform that is available and cost-effective, and run it in a Virtual Machine.

The main advantage is that you get the latest features and bug fixes. It usually takes 2 or 3 years for those to be rolled in to the vendor specific versions.

Also you can by target licenses for PLCs on Codesys' online store for a few different models.

Wago is actually getting rid of e!****pit and going back to using Vanilla Codesys which I am so happy about. :geek:

I use the PFC100 license from Codesys for our machines. New CFC100 and PFC200 are now shipping with an included target license for Vanilla codesys. IDK what it is taking them so long on the PFC100 but it is getting annoying.

Awesome, thanks for the input everyone.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that question.

Very interesting about Wago, I'll start looking into their lineup.