Using input from PLC to open and display PowerPoint

Chinook

I have a robot cell controlled via PLC. I want to use an output from the PLC, based on whatever part number the cell is processing, to open a specific PowerPoint and display it on a nearby monitor.

Currently, an operator selects a part number on a PanelView which calls the corresponding robot program. Then, separately, they must open the PowerPoint of the visual standards (quality checks the operator must do for each finished part) for that part on a PC, send it to a ViewSonic, then have the ViewSonic display the PowerPoint on a TV.

The display and the robot program are two completely separate processes.

It there a way to automate this? Basically, when the cell is processing part 1234, then the visual standard for part 1234 should be displayed on a nearby TV.

PanelView 5310
Compact GuardLogix 5380

This USB IO module on Amazon has 24 inputs that the PLC can send signals to.

It has a sample program and should be able to call individual PowerPoint, or PDF, program files by energizing an input.

If the program is adaptable to monitor multiple inputs they could be set as a 24 bit integer. or 6 digit 4 bit BCD value.

EDIT: I've never used an input module, but have used USB relay output modules for the PC to send signals to the PLC. I'm thinking of getting a smaller one of these myself to experiment with.

Last edited:
One colleague suggested writing a Python program to act as an in-between but I'd be starting from scratch learning how to actually 'code'. He made it seem simple though.

With NodeRED, it seems I can use a plc signal over our ethernet to open the file, then just use a Miracast or other device to simply display the pc screen on the tv. Might work...

Need to learn more about AdvancedHMI to see if it can open files.

Thanks for the input! I'll update if I work out a solution.

AdvancedHMI is basically a plug-in for Visual Studio with drivers to talk to PLCs. If Visual Studio can cause a powerpoint to open (pretty sure it can), then you're good.

I just checked in AdvancedHMI and it includes an OpenFileDialog object that can open a file when a BOOL tag goes high.

Have your PLC set bits based on the job number.

Unfortunately you would need a PLC tag and a HMI object for each part number.

Would be nice, as this is open source, if someone could create a tool that reads a DINT and when a BOOL trigger goes high it calls the file [DINT].PPT. That way you don't need to program tags for each file and any new part number only has to have a new PowerPoint file put int the correct folder.