V21 to V16 Logix designer support

John,

The good news: Buying a new copy of RSLogix 5000 gets you a DVD with versions 10 through 21 on it. It also gives you (at least) a 1 year TechConnect support contract, which makes you eligible to download all the older versions of RSLogix 5000.

Ken,
I'm sorry to bump an old post, but are you certain the emboldened part is correct? Rockwell is telling me that they do not give a one year tech support contract; only 30 days.

(I purchased RS5000 from my local vendor in CA in January. After receiving it, I realized that the disc is ONLY v19 and older, despite v20 being out. I contacted Rockwell and they had me log in to the website and download v20.

Six months later, my PC has crashed, and I've moved everything to a new computer (except using VM this time) and everything is peaches except I have v19 and no way to upgrade to v20 without shelling out cash to Rockwell.)

I've called three times, and each time, a rep has told me that you only receive a 30 day contract.

Ken,
I'm sorry to bump an old post, but are you certain the emboldened part is correct? Rockwell is telling me that they do not give a one year tech support contract; only 30 days.

(I purchased RS5000 from my local vendor in CA in January. After receiving it, I realized that the disc is ONLY v19 and older, despite v20 being out. I contacted Rockwell and they had me log in to the website and download v20.

Six months later, my PC has crashed, and I've moved everything to a new computer (except using VM this time) and everything is peaches except I have v19 and no way to upgrade to v20 without shelling out cash to Rockwell.)

I've called three times, and each time, a rep has told me that you only receive a 30 day contract.
Hi,
Rockwell no longer includes support with a software purchase. They stopped doing that about 5 or 6 years ago. The current program is called tech connect and you can get a year of support for $300.00 - $500.00 for the email support only version. Contact your local distributor, they can give you a quote. It's pricy but cheaper than ponying up for new software.

Policies may have changed in the past few years; I have an OEM Toolkit and pay the annual fee so I don't see the first-time-buyer experience anymore.

The old policy of "1 year with a new purchase" was for actual new customers, not existing customers who just bought one more license but otherwise did not pay for support contracts on existing licenses.

Hey All. It has been 14 years since this original post. Previous replies suggest

1. Hardware running firmware versions below V20 should run on Logix5000. Hardware running versions V20 and higher should run on Studio5000.

2. Recommend to have two programs running on same computer if working with projects with hardware versions existing inside both version ranges. Eg. a project in Version 16. And a project in V21.

3. There is no way to open a V16 project in Studio 5000. Must open it in Logix5000.

I have been working on projects in V16 so far. I now want to begin working on projects V21 and above. I have formatted and set up a new computer.

Win7 pro SP1, 32bit. (I am not changing. Please do not advise me to change my OS. Leave for another thread).

I have installed Studio5000 V21.

Ideally, i would install some kind of firware kit through ControlFlash which would allow me to change my Studio5000 Version below V21. Rockwell website states that Studio5000 is not backward compatible.

Ref:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/22724/loc/en_US

Question 1
Can multiple revisions of RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000 software be installed on one computer?
Answer 1
Users can load multiple major versions of RSLogix/Studio 5000 Logix Designer software onto the same PC. You can only have one minor version per major version installed at the same time. For example, you can have 21.00 or 21.03 installed but not both at the same time.

Rockwell also says in same article:
At this time, there is no master installation available, meaning that all the versions need to be installed individually.

This tells me if i wish to use Logix5000 V16, i need to install Logix5000 V16 software separate to the Studio5000.

Before begin installed unnecessary software into my computer, i thought i would run this question by PLCTalk community as you all seem to have the most up to date information.

So to state my strategy so far, this is what i think i should do:

1. Install Studio 5000, V21.

If i am working on a controller that is currently running on firmware greater than V21, I use controlflash to downgrade the firmware in the controller, then i begin my project.

2. Install Logix5000, V16. If i have a controller currently running on firmware below 21, but greater than 10, i use controlflash to downgrade/upgrade firmware to match V16, then i begin my project.

Is this the right course of action? Or is there a better way?

Thank you

Last edited:
Just for clarities sake, Logix 5000 is the name of the hardware family that includes: ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix, DriveLogix, and SoftLogix. The software we use with this hardware is either RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000. RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 are effectively the same thing. It was a name change. Rockwell has changed the name of many of their software packages (RSLogix, RSLinx, RSView) over the years and that always leads to confusion.

Lets forget about the name of the software for just a moment and concentrate on the versions. If you know you will be using v21, then yes, absolutely install v21. I really liked v21. I stuck with it for years.

If you suspect you will also be using another version, such as version 16., then install version 16 as well. Your computer will now be able to talk to any controller running v21.xx or v16.xx firmware.

If you receive a controller that has v17.xx firmware, you will not be able to talk with it until you do one of the following:

• Downgrade it to v16 firmware. But keep in mind that a v17 program cannot be downgraded. At least, not officially. It can be done manually but it isn't obvious on how to do it.
  • Upgrade the firmware to v21. This is fairly easy since the program can also be upgraded. Make sure you have the program saved since any firmware changes will erase the controller memory. The gotcha here is that not all controllers can be upgraded past version 20. as was the case for the OP of this thread.
  • Install v17 software. Your PC can then talk with any controller that has version 16, 17, or 21 firmware.

Many of us have PCs or VMs with multiple versions installed. Some may have every version from version 10 through version 35. This is particularly useful if you are doing service work and regularly work on equipment from different customers. You don't always know ahead of time what versions they might be using, so you have to be prepared for any version.

The firmware upgrade can be done through ControlFlash, or the newer ControlFlash Plus. It can also be done using the Logix/Studio software.

OG

Might be OT, but if possible, I would highly recommend upgrading from V16->V20. This would only be a Firmware upgrade on the PLC. If downtime is allowed, this would put your PLC from a Limited Firmware(V16) to a retired firmware(V20).

Comparison of RSLogix5k versions here: https://compatibility.rockwellautom...eplacement.aspx?crumb=101&restore=1&vid=57135

The arrows determine their current lifecycle status: Grey is Limited.