Valve Networks

cardosocea

Hello Gents,

I have 3 devicenet Westlock Intellis Valve networks and considering the way DeviceNet is going, I'm wondering if anyone has seen a similar system with a modern communication protocol?

Bear in mind that this is for hazardous area installtions, so it would have to be rated as such.

Is AS-i still supported or developed? When discussing with Rockwell on the DeviceNet future, it doesn't seem too bright. I think Profibus will last a while longer, but was wondering what's the next thing to allow this sort of installation?

The Intellis allows AS-i as well and setting up the DeviceNet was fairly straightforward too, but with the move to Ethernet everything I just can't see a valve actuator being networked because for the most part you need 3 bits (4 with double acting actuators). But at the same time, what technology will remain longest so I move to it.

I did consider moving all of them to standalone actuators and position indicators, but the work, IO and cabling required is quite expensive particularly on a retrofit situation.

Definitely still supported by multiple manufacturers, which I think gives it that longer life than Devicenet. As soon as Rockwell signaled it was "mature" then device manufacturers stop developing new products. Since AS-i isn't tied to a PLC manufacturer so tightly, I think that gives it more longevity.

Plenty of EIP gateways out there so you can couple AS-i to the native protocol of your PLC.

As you say, it's a hand full of bits you need per valve, it keeps the controller and valve costs down by avoiding ethernet on every valve. And you have one EIP connection consumed speaking to the gateway, rather than one per valve