Variable Displays / Goto buttons in FTView ME

Joppy

Hi, trying to grasp how the variable display option works with goto buttons in the FactoryTalk view ME environment.

I would like to create a Goto Button that looks at the value of a DINT tag in the PLC that will act as an index to send the user to the pertinent screen. In concept of functionality, when user activates goto button, (If PLCtag >1 and <20 then goto display1 /// if PLCtag >19 and <40 goto display2) etc etc etc.

Basically, I want to utilize a "goto most recent data log" button that will take the HMI user to whichever display contains a log of most recent data.

Any input on how this would be best implemented would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :geek:

I've never done anything with variable go to buttons directly, but if there are only a handful of possible screens you want to navigate to you could always stack the buttons and give them visibility animations so that only the pertinent GoTo is visible. If you have more than 5-10 screen to navigate too, that gets a bit tedious though.

Open studio.

Assign a global connection

Click global connections.

Click the display tab.

Click the help button on
"remote display number"
and
"replace display number"

This allows you to control HMI screens with the plc.

Assign a display number to each screen you make

Once you make the screen right click

Hit display settings.

Give a number to "display number"

The number given is linked to the tag in global connections.

Ex. If the tag in global connections for remote display connections is 1, the screen that has been assigned as screen 1 will pop up on the screen.

This is the gist of it. The harder part is releasing control of the hmi from the plc to let the user hit go to screen buttons.. I am a bit fuzzy on that.

Cheers

Last edited:
Your description is close to what you need. When using the Variable Display Option, you'll use the connection tab and write your expression to choose the screen. The only thing you need to do is use quotation marks around your screen name. This will Identify it as a STRING in the expression.

IF {Page_Select} > 1 And {Page_Select} < 20 Then "Page1" Else
IF {Page_Select} > 19 And {Page_Select} < 40 Then "Page2" Else "Error Page"

You will need some display defined to complete the last expression. Whether you use an Error page or just stay on the selection page.

As for JeremyAdair87 suggestion. This could also work. The Remote Display Connection allows a PLC tag to open a Replace Display by using the tag's value. This is a Read Connection. The display navigation is locked until that value is returned to zero. No operator control.

The Replace Display Connection is a Write Connection to a PLC tag and will report what Replace Display is currently open.

To use this option each display must have a unique identifier number. All display pages are number 1 as default so that must be changed.