Version 7 to 10 Studio Application Issue

Kroger2013

We had a HMI fail over the weekend. The application was developed in version 7 environment. We are currently running version 10 Studio and the new HMI is version 10. When the runtime application was created to download, it was created in version 10 form. Now, we have buttons that will not change states visually, but they do change the value of the connection they are assigned to. Also, the Value tag and Indicator tags are the same tags and the buttons are Maintained pushbuttons. If you press a button, it will not change state visually, but when you go to another screen, then come back to that screen, the state of the button pressed will visually change as it should. I have tried to save the application in version 7 and download with no success. Any ideas?

Thanks!

So you opened a version 7 ME application in version 10 and it upgraded it, right?
You then created a new .mer file and downloaded, correct?
Did you confirm the firmware of the new HMI matches what the .mer file?
Does the application run okay with the "running man" in the development software?

So you opened a version 7 ME application in version 10 and it upgraded it, right?
You then created a new .mer file and downloaded, correct?
Did you confirm the firmware of the new HMI matches what the .mer file?
Does the application run okay with the "running man" in the development software?

Yes, the application downloaded into the HMI with no issue. As I said, the physical state of the maintained pushbuttons would not change States but the tag value would change States. I tried to download as version 7 and version 10 with the same results. The application was originally developed in version 7.

Here's the thing, when testing the application on my desktop, the buttons would change state on the HMI as they should. But they wouldn't change state when testing the application on my PC.

did you copy the similar button from somewhere? or did you create new button?
I would like to try both way to create button to see what is the difference.

I try not to remember much about my Factory Balk experiences but I seem to recall reading a thread about a display update rate that can get fubarred during an upgrade.

Also there's the notorious selection that let's you tell the display object whether you want it to use the last value or the current value (<- terminology might be wrong). This latter "lie to me maybe" setting is one that should not have been affected by an upgrade though.

As OkiePC says
It sounds like the maintained buttons are using "Current State" instead of "Value Control" for next state.
If you change the state of the tag in the PLC the screen will toggle it from the state it remembers it at. Very confusing.

I try not to remember much about my Factory Balk experiences but I seem to recall reading a thread about a display update rate that can get fubarred during an upgrade.

Also there's the notorious selection that let's you tell the display object whether you want it to use the last value or the current value (<- terminology might be wrong). This latter "lie to me maybe" setting is one that should not have been affected by an upgrade though.

As OkiePC says
It sounds like the maintained buttons are using "Current State" instead of "Value Control" for next state.
If you change the state of the tag in the PLC the screen will toggle it from the state it remembers it at. Very confusing.

The only thing I did is change the runtime application to version 10. No changes were made to the application itself. It ran fine in version 7 but not in 10.

Just humour me. I think I have had this problem before.
Try retyping the tags in the connection tab.
I have had it not work properly and then get better after putting exactly the same information back in!?
Do the experiment on one button.

Just humour me. I think I have had this problem before.
Try retyping the tags in the connection tab.
I have had it not work properly and then get better after putting exactly the same information back in!?
Do the experiment on one button.

I've had to do that too. Tried with no such luck

As OkiePC says

Pretty sure that is what the issue is! I changed one button and it now works correctly. I now have to do this for all buttons... Thanks, Rockwell.

So I spoke too soon. There were two problems with version 10. You can't run the same update rate as you could on previous versions of a screen is busy with multiple objects and buttons. Also, if there is any errors in the application on a screen, it can cause unexpected issues like I had with random buttons not working. There was a multistate indicator on the main screen that had a tag linked to it that didn't exist in the logic. It had been like this since 2015 and no one knew it. I corrected this and the screen worked as it should all of the time.