VM Question

Nortech

Hi All,

Not strictly a PLC question but like myself, a lot of you will use VMWare workstation pro.

I have an issue where I use VCenter converter to virtualize a physical machine and when I open it up in workstation pro, the resolution is set to 800x600.

When I change my screen resolution in the 'Screen resolution' menu of control panel in the actual VM, the VM becomes increasingly slower and unresponsive the further I go up the list. It runs great at 800x600 but is borderline unusable due to the size of the screen. Larger resolution looks great but runs horribly!

I've messed with all the obvious settings:

1) Changed appearance settings to favor performance in the VM settings.
2) Upped the allocated graphics memory to 8gb in Virtual Machine settings/Display of VM workstation.
3) Defragged the VM disk
4) Allocated 16gb of memory (VMWare recommends 2gb).

I know my way around VM ware to get online with equipment but other than that I'm a bit clueless.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2) Upped the allocated graphics memory to 8gb in Virtual Machine settings/Display of VM workstation.
4) Allocated 16gb of memory (VMWare recommends 2gb).

I don't know what your host is and how much RAM you actually need for your VM, but in my experience when you put to much RAM in your VM config at some point it does the exact opposite of what you want, leaving the host with nothing to operate with.

Same with using all your processors and cores.

Right now I'm running an i7 laptop with 32Gb of RAM and I'm running much of my VMs with 1 processor / 2 cores and 4GB of RAM with Windows 10 Enterprise or Pro installations. I can have 4 of them open at the same time and I don't experience much lag once every one of them is started.

I don't know what your host is and how much RAM you actually need for your VM, but in my experience when you put to much RAM in your VM config at some point it does the exact opposite of what you want, leaving the host with nothing to operate with.

Same with using all your processors and cores.

Right now I'm running an i7 laptop with 32Gb of RAM and I'm running much of my VMs with 1 processor / 2 cores and 4GB of RAM with Windows 10 Enterprise or Pro installations. I can have 4 of them open at the same time and I don't experience much lag once every one of them is started.

Hi, thanks for the reply. My host is an i9 32Gb and has no issue running multiple other VMs that I have been given over the years. The problem here is something that I’m doing when creating my own VMs.

The process in VMware vcenter converter is pretty straightforward and there aren’t that many options to mess with. I can’t seem to find much online with this specific issue which is strange because it happened to me with every VM I’ve created through the years using many different host PCs which would lead me to think other people much experience this too.

I the VM's where i run, TIA or Logix, I have it setup with 4 processors and 16 GB Ram.
When I have one of these open I only run one vm at a time.

I am not currently a vm user but I see us going that way so this is a topic of some interest to me. So bringing the discussion back to the original post, what would cause virtual machine performance (specifically a VM Ware machine) to degrade significantly if not running the base resolution of the vm instance?

Keith