VMWare expert anyone ? How to reduce allocated disk space ?

After this, I started to think what was that REDO file, because I never had one, and I use plenty of VMs, so start searching.

I found a nice document that explains it. Also, reading just a little more, it all reduce for you to mark your disks as permanent. And that's all.

So Jesper, if you still have the disk to keep changes, the REDO file will return.

Thanks sapoleon. That was very interesting.

I changed one of the older VMs hardisk to Independent + Persistent mode. VMware then automatically "committed" the REDO file. So in stead of having two files of 2GB + 4GB I now have one 6 GB file. This despite that only 2 GB is in use on the virtual disk.
I ran a defragment from the utilities, but that didnt make any difference.
I wonder if VMware somehow can reduce the disk size to the actually used ? Or is it like the disk grows to the space used, but doesnt shrink again after the space is freed up ?

The document also says that there is a performance hit because of the REDO file, and that it shouldnt be allowed to grow above 2 GB anyway.

On the VM made with workstation v6 it doesnt look like that the REDO file appears. This even despite I dont have it set to Independent + persistent.

Finally solved !

Here is how to:

1. Select the virtual disk properties as Independent and Persistent. This makes the disk behave as any normal harddisk. And it removes the REDO file. The .vmdk file grows accordingly.

2. Use the Converter to change the version to the latest. Keep the same disk size.

3. Start the converted VM client. Use the Shrink utility in VMware Tools in the running client.

It takes approx an hour for these 3 steps. Probably more if the virtual disk is very large.

Well, it seems it takes it's time, but we made it at the end ;)

The truth is, I never saw the shrink utility... I may start now, because my Step7 VM is hitting the 15Gb now...

Vmware fusion 2

Hie guys, i recently bought a mac and i was looking at vmware so i can run windows. correct me if i am wrong. I want to load vmware fusion 2 to my laptop then load windows xp pro as the operating system for that virtual side. after i will load microsoft office for word , powerpoint and the rest. also use it for control logix 5k, learning pit simulating software. Has anyone done it and if so what tips can i have. My laptop is a mac book 250gig, 2.4ram

Thanks

I love coming late to this thread saying to myself "someone recommend VMware Converter". I use it all the time to shrink a VM.

Also you "might" have been able to get around the "redo" by cloning the vm. Maybe.

Also, you should really look into snapshots. I use the heck out of them.

OG

Operaghost said:
I love coming late to this thread saying to myself "someone recommend VMware Converter". I use it all the time to shrink a VM.
The converter didnt "shrink" the .vmdk file. I could have changed the size of the virtual disk, but as far as I understand, it will change the maximum size, not the actual size.
And I saw a warning about not attempting to reduce the disk to a smaller size than is actually used at a time.
It was the shrink utility that finally removed the fluff.

Operaghost said:
Also you "might" have been able to get around the "redo" by cloning the vm.
All the fancy stuff was disabled. Only after I removed the REDO file could I convert to the recent version. And only after that can I clone and take snapshots.