VMware Slow

Just as a side not i just built a win 95 vm and it was a PITA.

Finding the correct drivers was tough for the virtual hardware.

Fair warning if anyone ever attempts this.

Best method is to take an exisiting 98 or 95 computer and create a vitual image from that.

In fact 3 of my VM's are from the computer grave yard. If we have a laptop die we reincarnate it as a VM. This also creates that disk ID that AB is so in love with.

Clay

On our laptops dell M6500 have 2 hard drives primary SSD 160 GB and secondary 7200 RPM 1TB. We store and run vm's off the secondary hard drive and it makes things much faster.

VM's need to be on a seperate physical disk from the host in a ideal situation. The fact that i have them on the secondary hard drive it should not be a issue correct?

What do you see with this defrag issue? Will it just never complete? Or are errors Generated? We run disk keeper on all our corporate computers as it helps deep freeze perform better i could try disk keeper in the vm to see if it improves performance. I run 3gb ram in my xp vm's as the laptops have 12gb and i never run mor than 2 vm's on the laptops.

If i need more than 2 vm's open i do it on the desktop pc which has 24gb of ram and has no problems running 4+ vm's. Today 02:09 PMClay

Sadly my computer does not have a second hard drive so I use just the one. External USB hard drives are not that expensive so I use them to backup and store my VM and do the cut and paste routine whenever I need to defrag. I see the computer slow down... That is when I know it is time to defrag.Also when you run defrag it will tell you the drive is excessivly fragmented..... It will tell you at the end of defrag it was unable to defra your VM folder

Last edited:
Must be nice to have an unlimited computer budget.

My plant manager is a EE so he knows you need equipment to do the job with and he knows from experience that you get what you pay for.

He takes good care of the electrical group. We get first dibs on almost everything and our capitol requests are always approved.

Randy,

Are your USB Serial Converter drivers installed on the Host or the VM ?

You could load the drivers on the host and then map the serial port
or
You could load the drivers on the VM, and used the mapped/pass through USB port