voltage divider question

ascot01

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a de-ionization meter measuring TDS in megohms.
The analog out for remote monitoring is 0-10 vdc.
The monitoring controller input is 0-5 vdc.

Is a voltage divider what I need here and does it work on analog signals?

If you put two equal value resistors in series and then tap the center point between the two, you will get exactly half the voltage.

So if your signal is sourcing it would look like this:

..........................1000 ohm...1000 ohm
Analog output------ZZZZZ------ZZZZZ-------Ground
......................................^
.................................Analog Input

The 1000 ohm is just an example, they could be any value.

Last edited:
The 1000 ohm is just an example, they could be any value.

I disagree. The size of the resistors is important. The input resistance of the Analog Input is across one of the resistors and will lower the effective resistance of that resistor giving a ratio less than 50%.
Make the total resistance of the resistors slightly more than the minimum load resistance of the Analog Output to get highest accuracy.