VPN or remote connection

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

Im about to start a project in which I will use AB Compactlogix PLC.

It will be a simple installation including

-CompactLogix PLC
-4 Remote IO AENTR
-2 HMIs

The customer will not have rslogix5000 license, and I will need to have remote asistance to site to connect to plc and other devices.

I know there are the options of stride linxxx, or Ewwwwon. But what other options would you recommend ?? is it difficult to setup a free vpn service ??

Thanks!

I'm assuming the location already has "Broadband Internet"! - If this is TRUE.

This is what I would check on.

Verizon can create a "Private Network" which is actually a custom built VPN, that will allow you to do anything you might need to do just as if you are plugged into the device directly.

This is very affordable and the security for the network is the best there is!!

Also once the network has been created, it just takes a few lines or router code to add anytype of new device and now you would have access to that device also.

This would be to your benefit to at least check it out.

I use this type of setup and it operates flawlessly!! And I was amazed how cheap it cost.

If they have broadband internet available and the provider can give you a fixed IP then this is easy. I like Draytek VPN routers, they are cost effective but have plenty of features and good how-tos for setting up VPN connections.

If the company has an IT department they can maybe set something up for you... or make the simplest tasks incredibly difficult, either / or.

I have been using a PLC remote service first over a year. We have many AB systems around the world. The end user only needs a standard laptop with Java installed and access to the internet. It is easily the best service I have used for remote support. The newest version requires no extra hardware and has only been available for less than 2 years. There is no need for expensive hardware to ship and configure and there is no VPN or desktop support licensing issues to deal with.

Basically, it works like this:

• The programming laptop must have virtual machine software installed to run a Linux based rudimentary operating system that serves as a proxy connection to the remote laptop. No big deal. It is easy to install and setup.

• The remote laptop must have Java installed, connected to the PLC by LAN (with the proper adapter settings), and connected to the internet.

• The service web site has a “Manage Connections” page that allows you to configure the PLCÂ’s target IP address.

• The programmers laptop can see the PLC in RSLinx through the virtua machineÂ’s IP address.

I do use a standard desktop support connection to assist the remote laptop with the connection to the PLC.

In a pinch, this also works with cell phone hotspot.

An online search should provide you with enough information.

_

Last edited: