Way OT. CNC plasma cutter.

elevmike

I'm looking for a CAD-CAM type thingamigig to cut 1/8" stainless steel with a plasma cutter, and ran across this: http://www.torchmate.com/ and started getting excited. But before I jump into it I thought I might get some other opinions if any could be offered here. There's a couple of CNC people here, so maybe somebody can tell me if it's junk or not???

Thanks, Mike.

Thanks Eric,

I searched that fourm and found a few comments on Torchmate. I'm interested in a lower end unit as it will be sitting idle 2/3 of the time. Reading though that fourm gave me a few other units to look at also.

Mike,
I'm not familiar with either the TorchMate or DynaMate as I usually work on the OLDKRAP or WornOut brand.

The one thing that can bite you is the sheet can deform from the heat and rise up to snag the torch when the torch passes over holes. Need a Z axis that has some sensor. Right now I have a guy pushing up/down buttons on a handbox to ride the torch height - waste of manpower.

I'm looking for just that for a CHEEP retrofit. (LVDT or spring loaded bearing balls OR??)

Making control panel doors will look like fun, huh. Oneoffs water jetted get kinda pricey.

You might also think about the router option. Crank out stainless steel labels, less machine off time :confused:

Pretty little decorative pieces to put on your wife's lawnmower:p

Rod(CNC Dude)

Thanks for the other links,

I sent Torchmate an email request for more info but havnt heard back yet.

Rod, I will take a look at the router attachment along with someting for Z. Now that you mention it I'm concerned about warping the product. The stock will be pre-finished so distoration would be a big problem. I'll be sure to ask them about that.

Thanks.