Votes: 77 78.6%
  • Proxy

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Proximity Switch- I only use proper terms

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • What are you talking about?

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
"Prox" when referring to something in general, usually during a startup or troubleshooting session...
"That damn Prox is the wrong configuration"...
"That bloody prox doesn't read fast enough".
"Why did they start making stupid "SMART PROX's" that try to figure out for themselves if you want N.O. or N.C".
"I'm getting an out of range reading on the hopper prox, go check it out".

"Proximity Switch" when specifying a part that requires a hard N.O. or N.C. action, without contact to the sensed element.
"I'd advise putting a proximity switch on the carriage to detect home position"

"Proximity Sensor" when referring to a generic non-contact sensor with an analog output representing some quantity.

I don't have a sentence to use it in, but I have used proximity sensors with a short sensing range to measure displacement of a device via a lobed cam. Sort of a non-contact cam follower.

For others, I use what they are. "Ultrasonic Switch", "Ultrasonic Ranger", etc.

proxy

hi
I have never used any thing except "proximity switch" some times in said only"proximity"
thx

I've also heard prox's called tac's as in tacho pluse from a prox switch mounted near the shaft of a motor. There are many other applications for these as well. I never think of a prox as a photo sensing device, ie. photo switch, but I guess that would work as well. :unsure:
Good Thread! :nodi:

Proximity Switch, but I don't only use proper terms for everything. For instance I often call an enclosure a can. :shrug:

I'm in New england

and I call it a proxy switch...

but then again, I learned at the AB GTS training centers (a lot of those guys come from Milwaukee)

Marc

You can call them "proximity switches", "proximity sensors", "proxy's", "prox switches", "magic thingees"... whatever...

...just don't call them late for dinner!