Which Electrical CAD program do you use?

Which Electrical CAD program do you use?

• Total voters
rdrast said:
Bah.. too tired, too much wine consumed... I voted 'Promis*e', when I meant to vote 'AutoCad Electrical'.

That makes up for my mistake.. I voted for Autocad Electrical instead of Promis e.

Promis e is good, but has a steep learning curve..

RayK said:
Turbocad Pro ver 12 great program, I use it for wiring diagrams and 3d plant upgrades

Ray,

About a year ago I upgraded from TurboCad 1.9 (DOS) to Turbocad 11. Liked it so much I just upgraded to TC Pro 12. I looked at a lot of CAD packages and couldnt find a better value. Turbo Cad will work with about 20 different file formats including DWG & DXF. Very good help dialog, and the user forum is good also. Use it for both electrical drawings & 3D mechanical drawings. I just wish the name of the Groups & Blocks would be displayed in the selector popup box instead of group, group, group...

Last edited:
My preference on ACad is limited..the company used it, i learnt to use it as well.. I previously used Cadence Orcad mainly for PCB schematics...it's pretty alright, apart from the pricing.. feels almost like working on ACad.

Regards
Sherine T.

I've used most. Caterpillar had litterally dozens of programs, now they use Pro-E, Pro-Harness, etc. yechhhhhhh!!!!!!

Around my office, I usually use AutoCAD LT, but sometimes real ACad.

At Siemens, I has ACad R14, 2005, and Promise-E. The ACad programs were FAST! Promise-E locked up a lot, it took 10-20 minutes to load sometimes, could use a lot of the ACad commands, was very difficult to do simple ACad functions if they would even work. For what extra stuph Promise-E did, it was not worth the money because you had to redo so much, like move wires on the schematics.

I loaded something last summer, can't remember what it was. The ICON was flourescent green, did charts and flow sheets great, but electrical or mechanical drafting were a joke. Then I start getting several emails a day from the manufacturer that appeared to be driven by the contents of my emails, so I deleted it. Wish I could remember the name. I need to go through the old threads.

Tom uses a nice alternative to ACad, but the name escapes me. If I had to buy one, that's what I would get! I think it's called DesignCad.

Here is a similar thread that surfaced a few years back.

I have done my own since 1984 and I have spend 10.000h my free time for it. Drawings are as "HTML-pages" with database links.