Why didn't X_GET work?

leem2209

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have 3 PLC's as part of a group of machines.

A "Transport" section to "Machine 1" and "Machine 2".

Each has a CPU315-2 DP.

I want to transfer a 70 byte data block from "Machine 1" to "Transport" and same for "Machine 2".

There are DP:DP couplers to give handshake signals but they are set up for only 11 bytes Input and 11 bytes Output. Expanding this will affect the I/O addressing of other remote I/O units on the profibus.

All the PLC's are connected by MPI. There is one common connection point on the front of the "Transport" panel and I can connect with the PG to each of the PLC's through this.

MPI addresses are "MC1plc=2" "MC1touchscreen=1" "MC2plc=7" "MC2touchscreen=9" "TransPlc=3" "TransportCP=4" "TransportTouchscreen=5"

So I thought I'd be able to set up X_GET twice in the "Transport" PLC to retrieve the required data from "Machine1" and "Machine2"

Set up as follows:

REQ = M2.5 (1 sec clock)
CONT = M0.1 (Always Off)
DEST_ID = W#16#2 (For Machine 1, MPI 4) W#16#7 (For Machine 2, MPI 7)
VAR_ADDR = P#DB23.DBX0.0 Byte 70

RET_VAL = #mc1_retval
BUSY = #mc1_busy
RD = P#DB100.DBX30.0 Byte 70 (MC1) P#DB100.DBX100.0 Byte 70 (MC2)

My RET_VAL is showing 28674/28672

But data is not transferred into DB100 in my "Transport" PLC. I've tried writing each DB to separate datablocks too but same result.

I was hoping to try X_PUT in "Machine1" and "Machine2" but ran out of time.

I am also thinking of trying X_SEND and X_RCV but if X_GET doesn't work then I assume X_SEND, X_RCV and X_PUT won't work either.

Any suggestions?

I've seen a couple of things about MPI comms...

One item showed both PLC's in a single project and comms working using X_Send

One post said that the PLC's do not need to be in the same project.

I have 3 separate projects. Do I need them all in a single project? Or do I need to define the connections (Insert new connection under NetPro?)?

UPDATE!

Now working. All it required was a CPU re-start.

I found an example of X_GET and X_PUT use on Siemens website and it mentioned putting the CPU into stop before downloading so on re-start it loads SFC67/68 properly.