WinCC w/ Allen Bradley (1100)

DesertDog

I'm needing to connect a WinCC application with an Allen Bradley Micrologix 1100 PLC. This is the new PLC with built in Ethernet support.

I've used both platforms before but this is the first time I've had to mix them.

I would appreciate any help in determining what I need. It's a rather small project so a serial connection would be adequate but Ethernet would be nicer. I'm thinking I'll wind up with an OPC server (this is new to me :unsure: ) but the 1100 is so new I'm not sure it's supported and it's not usually listed in the documentation ;) .

I once used it to communicate to AB PLC5's. The biggest problem we had was the alarming structure. From memory, WinCC expects each alarm in a 32 bit word. The PLC alarms must be programmed with this in mind.

Edit: We used a direct 3rd party driver to talk to the PLC's, not OPC.

I think that WinCC supports the DF1 protocol directly with no need for an OPC server or anything else. At least that is what the other Siemens offerings WinCC Flexible and Protool does.

edit: Even if ML1100 isnt mentioned in Siemens documentation, there should be no problems with DF1. DF1 is so wellknown that it cannot go wrong. If you have to specify a PLC type, then pick an SLC500. Just make sure that WinCC doesnt try to access an address that cannot exist in the ML1100.

I am also 100% certain that WinCC does not support Ethernet/IP directly.
So you will have to go via OPC.
Rockwell "RSLinx Single node", or ".. OEM" will do the job.

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
I think that WinCC supports the DF1 protocol directly with no need for an OPC server or anything else. At least that is what the other Siemens offerings WinCC Flexible and Protool does.
I'm finding ambiguous information on this. WinCC 5.x definitely did. The documentation for 6.x claims:
1) 3rd party protocols are now supported through OPC
2) DF1 is available as an option.
a) Driver available on the install CD
But I can't find any support on the CD or setup details in the documentation.

As I dont work with WinCC I am a little vague on this. But I do remember now that Siemens put out a statement about WinCC only working with OPC for v6 and onwards.

WinCC will be migrated to WinCC Flexible (2007 they say, we shall see).
At that time you should be able to select DF1.

For a quick fix right now:
Get a copy of RSLinx Single Node. It will allow you to connect via ethernet.

Found it:
In entry ID 15195529 (release note on WinCC v6) on Siemens support it says:
"Some communication channels to third-party PLCs have been omitted in favor of OPC solutions."
And DF1 is not in the list of directly supported protocols.