Windows 10 Still not ready for Prime Time, Broken Windows!

No income tax, no capital gains tax. Freedom!
I have been using Windows 10 to do some long term tests on a laptop. I chose a laptop because it would die in case of a power outage. This test is one that runs for days or weeks. You guys have machines that run for days and weeks too. The problem I have run into is that you can't stop Windows 10 from updating, you can only determine when the updates are installed. However one thing I have notices, and many others, is that Windows 10 slows down to a crawl when Windows 10 has an update to install. To fix the problem I must restart Windows 10 but if I do I must restart my test that has been running for days or weeks and lose the progress the test has made.

Does anybody know how to stop the updates besides disabling internet access?
I have look on many forums but no one seems to know how to do it without disabling internet access.

I have been using Windows 10 to do some long term tests on a laptop. I chose a laptop because it would die in case of a power outage. This test is one that runs for days or weeks. You guys have machines that run for days and weeks too. The problem I have run into is that you can't stop Windows 10 from updating, you can only determine when the updates are installed. However one thing I have notices, and many others, is that Windows 10 slows down to a crawl when Windows 10 has an update to install. To fix the problem I must restart Windows 10 but if I do I must restart my test that has been running for days or weeks and lose the progress the test has made.

I have look on many forums but no one seems to know how to do it without disabling internet access.

I haven't tried with win10 but usually you can disable the windows update service.

Find services from the control panel then find the service called Windows Update. Stop it and set it to disabled and then it will never start.

Since the service isn't running it will not look for updates, not download anything and never reboot - regardless of any windows update settings.

PS. Please post back when you tried. I'm pretty sure it works. Most users wont go into the registry or disable certain services so it's not a problem for Microsoft that you can do things like this.
I used to be a habitual windows service disabler and sometimes I'd run into problems when some software was dependent on a service to run.

Last edited:
I had similar with my wife's laptop and the solution was to set the connection as metered. Basically going on your network properties and there would be a switch to set as metered. Like this, windows assumes that you are paying data and won't download updates.

It worked for my wife until about... 4 months ago when she grabbed the opportunity to return to a Win7 laptop.

Have you tried it?

Edit:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953...download-forced-updates-at-your-own-pace.html

Go to Start - Settings - Update & Security. Under Update Settings choose Advanced Options and select Defer Feature Updates.

This is Windows 10 Home and Pro versions biggest flaw, that it automatically downloads updates unless you put down some work into actively prevent this.

The enterprise version of W10 are said to have the possibility to simply delay updates up to 6 months or something.

I will not be using W10. Either i stay with Win7 or go to Linux.
I hope the controls market sees this issue and start developing more tools for Linux so we finally can get rid of the plague windows has become.

This is Windows 10 Home and Pro versions biggest flaw, that it automatically downloads updates unless you put down some work into actively prevent this.

The enterprise version of W10 are said to have the possibility to simply delay updates up to 6 months or something.

This is seriously worrying... I was under the impression the Pro version would allow for a lot more control over the computer precisely for it to be used in industrial environments.

Linux could be interesting, but I think that there is already too many hours sunk into Windows for the established companies to move away from it. And there's always the unfamiliarity with it in production environments too...

Maybe Canonical/Ubuntu will be interested in developing some serious Linux stuff for PLCs. They recently announced an intent for an IPO, and said they want to strengthen their IoT business beforehand.

Maybe Canonical/Ubuntu will be interested in developing some serious Linux stuff for PLCs. They recently announced an intent for an IPO, and said they want to strengthen their IoT business beforehand.

You mean entering the SCADA business against the big players by putting out a Linux package? Or by putting more support onto their OS so that the big players start adopting it into their equipment?

The windows central thing looks promising. I have been running Winoze 10 since it cam out and reckon it is the best Windoze yet to be honest. It still clogs up over time though - just re configured my computer and re-installed Windoze - now running really fast.

I like the metered connection idea. I need to keep the updates from downloading. I already have the updates deferred or not installing automatically.
Yes, we discussed porting the program to Linux. We actually have 5 headless Linux boxes for doing computational processing but the boxes have been previously dedicated to another project. I have a MacPro that I can use.

I think I will first try the metered connection to keep the download from occurring. Thanx

Another approach I've used is to shunt the Windows DNS setting to go through a proxy service installed on the same box(set the NIC to 127.0.0.1). The DNS proxy has the ability to block wildcarded domains, like all of Microsoft's update servers.

I used acrylic DNS proxy
http://mayakron.altervista.org/wikibase/show.php?id=AcrylicHome
Attached is the blocklist I came up with by observation. (it also blocks some other Microsoft CDN services and things that are probably telemetry/feedback that they feel is necessary but is just eating my bandwidth)

Go to Start - Settings - Update & Security. Under Update Settings choose Advanced Options and select Defer Feature Updates.

Also click on the popup when it starts the update and select Defer... but this only postpones the update and it will install at some point

That said, I like W10 and not had many issues its a lot better than Vista, my GOD that was terrible