Windows nt 4.0? Still available?

bright676

I am installing Rs logix 5.00.00 on another lap top with Xp pro and it says I need windows Nt 4.0 with service pack 4.

I dont remember having this issue with my old lap top when I installed it.

Can I still get nt 4.0 and where do I find it?

Thanks

eBay only. Here's one.
It will probably impossible to get proper NT4 drivers for all the laptop's goodies.
Better to pursue an RX upgrade, or find another old laptop with NT4 already on it.

Last edited:
As stated above your better off upgrading your RSLogix.

What processor are you going to use this with?

Ten years ago when I was loading RSLogixs onto a new laptop with Windows XP Pro I believe the message about NT came up and it meant you needed NT or newer operating system and XP was 4 years newer

But as others have said you need a newer version of RSLogix

While moving some storage containers around in an area our group just inherited, I came across one about 5' x5' x5' that was full of still shrink-wrapped NT4 disks and manuals! Because of our company rules and regs, it has and will remain untouched.

As a +1 to the above, you are better off updating your RSLogix...

How can you survive with the greatest old clunker OS Microsucks ever put out? Always hated it!

95 and 98 had issues. Crashed a lot with Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD). It tried to run new 32 bit, and be backwards compatible with 16 bit and DOS. In addition, it introduced Plug and Play (Plug 'n Pray).

NT tossed all of those capabilities. True 32 bit. You manually loaded all drivers. They took a lesson from Unix. As a result, it was the only Operating System at the time that worked! NT 3.5 had bugs, but 4.0 was fairly solid.
It's all NT today. Win2K is NT5. XP is NT5.1 and 5.2. Vista is NT6...

It's very likely that the software's OS detection doesn't recognize the particular edition or service pack of Windows XP that you are installing on, so it gives in incorrect warning about Windows NT Service Packs.

This doesn't mean you need to try to run Windows NT 4.0 !

You either need to figure out how to work around the registry and OS dependence issues for RSLogix (I presume this is RSLogix 500 version 5.0) or you need to upgrade RSLogix 500 so that it recognizes the slightly-more-modern OS you are installing on.

I very strongly recommend upgrading RSLogix 500. There is no practical reason to attempt to install and run software that is more than ten years out of date.