can you still get Windows XP Pro from Microsoft ...

I just bought a totally 100% legal copy of XP Pro. And get this, it came with a free dual core laptop.(y)

I bought a refurbished Dell D620 from Geeks.com And it costs less than what Amazon is selling XP Pro for. It came with media and a new COA.

For more choices, just google 'buy xp pro'. many legit ways to buy it.

I'm not positive but I think the license agreement on OEM versions of the software state that the software can only be installed as part of a new PC. It cannot "legally" but installed as an upgrade or change in operating system. I am pretty sure that I saw that somewhere once and I am not willing to read the whole license agreement until I need a good night's sleep.

Windows OEM versions are indeed intended for installation on one machine only . The license does not allow you to transfer that license to another computer.

If you are building a computer you can buy an OEM version, but again, if you build another new computer, you cannot use that license on a new machine. Likewise you are not allowed to use an OEM version to upgrade.

Now "not allowed" does not mean you can't do it. It means, by the terms of the license you aren't supposed to.

OG

I am looking to buying Windows 7 off eBay.

Some sellers are selling full versions of Windows, and stating that they will ship with a "small piece of qualifying hardware" to make the purchase legit.

comments invited....?

I am looking to buying Windows 7 off eBay.

Some sellers are selling full versions of Windows, and stating that they will ship with a "small piece of qualifying hardware" to make the purchase legit.

comments invited....?

They are probably selling the "OEM" version, apparently a way to "skirt" around the OEM license by including a piece of hardware.

If you are purchasing Windows 7, do it the right way. Retail and you have no worries. You can also look into volume licensing directly through Microsoft.

Also, be aware that people selling Windows on ebay could be giving your fraudulent license keys. Such as ones obtained through technet accounts...

If you are in a company, big enough to have a IT section, then, I had the same problem. I found old equipment that had been back graded to window 2000, was able to use the licence from them.

Just a FYI for those of you that use VM Ware to be legal each VM has to have it's own license and XP OEM version can not be used on a VM at all by the license but in the physical realm it will work.

The Technet Subscriptions are a great way to go

I've been reading up on the Technet topic quite extensively lately and I don't believe this is a legitimate way license to Microsoft products for automation development.

Specifically from their terms of use:

"The TechNet Subscriptions Software License Terms grant one user the right to install the program software on any devices for evaluation purposes, including those located at his or her home, so long as the user fully complies with all of the License Terms no matter where the device is located. In other words, one user may install and use the evaluation software, only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating environment, a staging or production environment, or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. You may not use the evaluation software for software development or in an application development environment."

I was always under the impression that you COULD use the software for anything as long as it wasn't used in production. I guess it depends on your definition of evaluation. Why would anyone pay $150/yr. just for evaulation? Sounds like a demo version which should be free. You can get SQL Server free to use for 180 days for free. This is to evaluate it. Why then get a technet? Also windows 3.1 is available. Does anyone need to evaluate that?

I was always under the impression that you COULD use the software for anything as long as it wasn't used in production. I guess it depends on your definition of evaluation. Why would anyone pay $150/yr. just for evaulation? Sounds like a demo version which should be free. You can get SQL Server free to use for 180 days for free. This is to evaluate it. Why then get a technet? Also windows 3.1 is available. Does anyone need to evaluate that?

I believe you need to have an MSDN (Microsoft Development Network) subscription if you are actually developing applications. I believe the automation world would fall under this agreement.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/buy.aspx

The original reason I was looking at Technet was to play with Microsoft Project and Microsoft Visio. If I decided to continue learning those items, then I would have a valid reason to purchase the retail versions. Given everything you have access too, the Technet evaluation certainly is useful to determine if certain MS products are ideal for you or your business needs.

I think MSDN is a completely different thing than Technet. MSDN is focused on development software such a Visual Studio which technet does not include. I don't think with MSDN yo can download OSs.

Yes Technet and MSDN are completely different. From my understanding:
Technet - Evaluation
MSDN - Development & Testing

If you check my link, there is a $699 Operating System only account which I think the automation world would gravitate too.

Ultimately, it's up to the end user to best determine if their needs fall into evaluation or development.

Last edited:
For me, I wouldn't have any qualms about using the software for my personal use only in any way that I see fit.