Windows 11 with RSLogix

I'm running version 4.20 and able to use all families of RSLogix as well as RSLogix Emulate 500. I'm still on Windows 10. Several coworkers are set up the same way on Windows 11.

rant on: I, too, hate the new layer of fluff Windows 11 has added to every freaking thing I need to find, like network settings to set a static IP address. Just a minute ago, I was remote accessing a client PC to copy a file and got lost trying to find the right click menu "Copy" command in their windoze 11. Everything has to be a effin symbol now. I install Classic Shell on every win10 or win11 PC I touch just to hide all the boolchit on the "Start" (getting distracted by netflix and x-box) menu. /rant
Can you share the link for downloaded 4.20 version

I would share it easily if Rockwell didn't make things so complex. Let me see how close I can get you to it and type out some directions to go with ...
Try this link:

Then click Versions and you should see a list of versions with download links. On my 3rd (weird) monitor, when I click on the download button, I get a truncated dropdown list to choose the version but clicking on the text on the left takes me to another page with a list of versions (left to right this time) and from there I can click the download arrow and then it asks me to sign in. From that point there are only about three or six more self explanatory steps to get the file to your downloads folder.

Last edited:
For the link that you gave there's a dropdown which shows the compatibility for different operating systems and Windows 11 is not supported for 4.20 and 4.21 and higher versions also needs a Cumulative Update for Windows 11 (KB5008215). I even tried installing that update but it won't install. By this point I'm not sure what will work and what won't.1711398303224.png

I am still on Windows 10, and haven't had any compatibility issues and two of my co workers are on Windows 11 and were able to get later versions of RSLinx Classic Lite to install and run without any issues that I know of. I would recommend trying an even higher version. When Rockwell says an OS isn't supported, that doesn't mean it won't work, it just means they won't help you if it doesn't.

I'm running version 4.20 and able to use all families of RSLogix as well as RSLogix Emulate 500. I'm still on Windows 10. Several coworkers are set up the same way on Windows 11.

rant on: I, too, hate the new layer of fluff Windows 11 has added to every freaking thing I need to find, like network settings to set a static IP address. Just a minute ago, I was remote accessing a client PC to copy a file and got lost trying to find the right click menu "Copy" command in their windoze 11. Everything has to be a effin symbol now. I install Classic Shell on every win10 or win11 PC I touch just to hide all the boolchit on the "Start" (getting distracted by netflix and x-box) menu. /rant

+1 for Classic Shell. I use it on my primary and VM windoze 10.

Is this the Classic Shell you're talking about?
Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
I was able to get my work PC's Win10 reasonably useful but my personal laptop with Win11 is....ugh.

Is this the Classic Shell you're talking about?
Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
I was able to get my work PC's Win10 reasonably useful but my personal laptop with Win11 is....ugh.
Yes, that's the one that keeps me in Windows 7 semi-sanity. Note that for Windows 11, you have to install it, then run it, and must choose a custom button option in order for it to work right. In Windows 10, you can leave that option unchecked and the Windows 10 Start icon will function as intended.Classic Shell.png

Does it bring the QuickLaunch back? That's one of my biggest tools since WinXP. I was able to restore it in Win7 and Win10 but not in Win11. Having apps pinned to the taskbar just bugs the heck out of me. Makes it way harder to find the shortcut I want to launch.

2 reasons companies say this...
They do not want to support issues with obsolete software on new OS.
They want you to upgrade.

In Rockwell's defense, they have had support for VMware in the past and still do "support" it to that extent that it's a known way for people to keep old software used on new systems. Sign In . You can see in that technote that they've gone through the trouble of checking compatibility with software on VMware, so making sure RSlogix 500 works with windows 11 is a non-issue for them.

Anyone with real world experience knows you're going to need a solution for old problems, which has led me to making sure I had a multitude of VM's ready to run any old software and finding ways to make them work, all the way back to a DOS VM with no windows installation, windows 3.11, Windows NT, 95, 98, etc.