windows 7 and 1747-CP3

Mporter4

I need to communicate with a 1747-L543 and would like to use my laptop which is windows 7.
can I use this cable/driver with this? are they compatible?

Yes, that's just a standard null-modem cable.

Does your computer have a serial port? If not you will need a USB to serial adapter
( "Keyspan" is a good one)

right now I have it communicating on my desk top (serial port) connection.
so you are saying that the controller communiction would need to be changed to 485 and I would redo my rslinx driver for the UIC (485)

right now I have it communicating on my desk top (serial port) connection.
so you are saying that the controller communiction would need to be changed to 485 and I would redo my rslinx driver for the UIC (485)

Yes, but a USB to serial adapter is a whole lot cheaper. And unless you are going to network the serial port on your SLC5/04 I would not configure it for DH485.

See link below

http://www.ind-concepts.com/index.htm

Last edited:
I have saw on this post several times about using USB TO SERIAL converters and the problems they cause.I have a converter(radio shack) and I have the serial cable I am currently using.Do you think this is all I need?

Thanks for all your help!

I have saw on this post several times about using USB TO SERIAL converters and the problems they cause.I have a converter(radio shack) and I have the serial cable I am currently using.Do you think this is all I need?

Thanks for all your help!

Give it a try, not all USB to serial adapters work with PLCs. If you have problems then the link I posted above has one that will work ( Brand name "Keyspan")

The SLC-5/04 has a Data Highway Plus and a serial port built into it. That serial port out of the box is configured for DF1 communications. All you need then is a null modem cable like the 1747-CP3 cable you mentioned (besides a serial port). In RSLinx just stick with the RS232 DF1 Devices driver.

The serial port on the SLC can be reconfigured for other uses. One of those other usages is for the Data Highway 485 network that the older SLC-5/01, 5/02, and 5/03 had built-in. That could allow your 5/04 to talk with the older devices. If that serial port had been reconfigured for DH485 then the 1747-UIC would be used. Otherwise just stick with the standard 1747-CP3 cable.

As for the USB to serial converters, remember that a USB to serial adapter essentially creates a serial port on your laptop where your laptop didn't already have one built-in. You would still need a null modem cable like the 1747-CP3 mentioned earlier.

I generally tell people that if you recognize the brand name of the converter then it will likely work. If it is some off brand that you have never heard of, it may work, but those tend to be the ones that people have trouble with. Haven't used any from Radio Shack, but my guess is that it should work fine.

OG