Windows XP and Siemens software

Just back from a visit to the customer, as usual with a stack of new modifications and "wish lists".

The first one is that the system is going to be connected to the normal intranet system of the University (the customer is a research centre attached to Dresden University). I suggested they stick the system behind a router to give it a bit of protection, but for some reason (which I don't fully understand) they don't want want to do that. As a result, they are adamant that both the HMI PC and the Laptop they will be using as a second HMI as well as as a PG be upgraded to XP SP2 (from currently SP1).

I've searched the Siemens Support site and found an FAQ on enabling active content with local HTML pages (which is disabled as default on XP2), which seems to imply that XP2 is now officially supported. However, nowhere have I been able to find official confirmation of this.

Does anybody know what the official Siemens position is on SP2 and if it is approved are there any peculiarities that one needs to be aware of (especially on the lap-top).

There are a other few other questions which have come up, but I'll post them in separate Threads, to keep things clean.

Hi Roy,

try this link

The information within the link is only available in german.

it says:

For "Windows XP Professional SP2" will take place the release with "STEP 7 version V5.3 SP2". About the release from the "SP2 to STEPS 7 V5.3" are informed you in the InterNet and/or about the service & support newsletter.

Cheers
Rolf

Thanks Rolf,

for some reason I didn't find that yesterday, probably a case of temporary blindness! :rolleyes:

Reading that table and it's footnotes carefully, it implies that Step7 V5.2 and 5.3 were approved for SP2, but the approval has now been withdrawn - presumably following problems. As you say, it says that full approval for SP2 with S7 V5.3 will follow with S7 V5.3 SP2 - leaves only the question, when is the release of S7 V5.3 SP2 expected?