Wonderware InSQL query - data quality

Erik vdH

Does anyone have much experience writing WW InSQL queries.

I have done a bit of it.

There are two different ways to get data from it (it is an OLE DB provider to SQL Server).

1. Narrow Format using a query such as ...

SET NOCOUNT ON
DECLARE
@StartDate DateTime
DECLARE @EndDate DateTime
SET @StartDate = DateAdd(mi,-5,GetDate())
SET @EndDate = GetDate()
SET NOCOUNT OFF
SELECT
TagName, DateTime = convert(nvarchar, DateTime, 21), Value, vValue, Quality, QualityDetail = History.QualityDetail, QualityString, wwEdgeDetection
FROM History
LEFT JOIN QualityMap ON QualityMap.QualityDetail = History.QualityDetail
WHERE TagName IN ('IPS_Fwd_Energy.PV', 'IPS_Fwd_VAr_Total.PV')
AND Quality = 0
AND wwRetrievalMode = 'Cyclic'
AND wwCycleCount = 100
AND wwVersion = 'Latest'
AND wwEdgeDetection = 'NONE'
AND DateTime >= @StartDate
AND DateTime <= @EndDate

2) Or Wide Format such as ...

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF
SELECT
* FROM OPENQUERY(INSQL, "SELECT DateTime = convert(nvarchar, DateTime, 21), [IPS_Fwd_Energy.PV], [IPS_Fwd_VAr_Total.PV], wwEdgeDetection
FROM WideHistory
WHERE wwRetrievalMode = 'Cyclic'
AND wwCycleCount = 100
AND wwVersion = 'Latest'
AND DateTime >= DateAdd(mi,-5,GetDate())
AND DateTime <= GetDate()")

The wide format is very convenient in a lot of situation since you get one date-time stamp and adding more data gives you a wider table.

The one problem I am having with the wide format is that you don't seem to be able to filter out bad quality data using the wide format. I asked the WW guys and they were no help.

Has anyone else encountered this or got another way to get out a wide format of only GOOD quality data?

It has been a number of years since I've done this, but as I recall the wide format was nice to use, but it had limitations because of the 128 character string issues with Wonderware. I ended up relabeling all my columns to one or two character names.

You can get around the 128 character limitation by swapping the double quotes for single quotes and vice versa.

ie:

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF
SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(INSQL, 'SELECT DateTime = convert(nvarchar, DateTime, 21), [IPS_Fwd_Energy.PV], [IPS_Fwd_VAr_Total.PV], wwEdgeDetection
FROM WideHistory
WHERE wwRetrievalMode = "Cyclic"
AND wwCycleCount = 100
AND wwVersion = "Latest"
AND DateTime >= DateAdd(mi,-5,GetDate())
AND DateTime <= GetDate()')

What I'm now struggling with is trimming the DatTime value to remove seconds:

ie in above SQL:
SELECT DateTime = left(convert(nvarchar, DateTime, 21),16)

Which then gives "incorrect syntax near "("." for no apparent reason :(

Last edited: