Wood kiln automation

handewood

Hello all. I have been checking all post post to try and answer some of my questions with automating my kiln. I have recently picked up a used SLC 500 rack. The processor is a 5/04 cpu L542A, 401 OS, series C, rev 3. the rest of the modules are a NR4 rtd module, a NI4 analog input module, 2 OA16 and 2 IA16 modules. I am trying to do a few things and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I want to hook up the unit to a panelview to start and control the unit.

1- I want to be able to print a line of values every 10 minutes or so that will tell me the condtions in the kiln. Such as temp, humidity, air velocity, and moisture cointent of the wood. I have already found all of the hardware for the process but I cannot find a relatively inexpensive PV.

Question- Can I print from the cpu by setting up ch 0 to user mode with ascii and send a string to it to print on a printer or must I set up the PV for this. I may also need some guidance in writing the commands for the string.

2- I am building a new kiln as we speak and would like to automate both.

Question- Can I run both kiln indepenently from the same processor. So if one is running and I want to start the other they will both run and monitor themselves granted the program is made for both. I will eventually have a few programs for the various species of wood as they have different drying schedules.

Anyone with any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance.
Nick Harner

Hi Nick !

If it were me, I'd try to get a DH+ PanelView and use Print Only objects in the PanelView to run the printer.

This leaves your RS232 Channel 0 port available for online programming and monitoring during development, and even lets you "pass through" the SLC-5/04 to the PanelView for program download.

I realize your budget is very low, but you're going to have to either buy an operator terminal with DH+ or a 1784-PCMK card if you are going to have online access to the controller while running the operator interface and still have an RS232 printer port. Since you need the operator interface anyhow, a PanelView with DH+ is the logical choice.

Thats what I'm looking for. I've been watching all panelviews with the last digit of an 8. I guess I will have to check over the user manual for panelbuilder and try and figure out how to set up the print only objects. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. I am waiting on a copy of the software from our programmer. My license covers panelbuilder and factory talk so I should be ok and I can call up AB if I have any problems. Thanks Ken

I also had a question regarding the PV 900 Mono screens. All we use are the color for work but I was wondering when you setup up a pushbutton on the screen can you get the function to light up like the color screens, granted I am sure the color option are very limited. I see on the greyscale there are 4 color options but I can't find how many ther are on a monochromatic screen.

Last edited:
It's mine yes but I use it for my own business. I sell kiln dried lumber, a few cabinets here and there and custom moulding,. That is after my day job, and when I have time.