Work boots.

Hi to all, hope everyone is having a good day. I am asking for everyone's input on work boots. I work in the electronics department in an industrial plant on cement floors. Like many of you, I spend hours on a lap top troubleshooting or tweaking programs next to machines. I want to get good comfortable work boots that will last. I have tried Avenger. I don't mind paying over $200 us dollars. I!m thinking of Red wings. What has worked for you guys doing the same work I am? I want something that will be comfortable and last. Thank you all for your help.

My father was a large-animal veterinarian at a stockyards. The guys that walked the yards all day stepping in everything wore Redwings.

I've kept high-top steel toe Redwings in the car for close to 30 years. I do a lot of work in mining and they hold up well. The last time I bought 2 pair from a Redwing store it was around $560 with the tax. They are pretty heavy but very comfortable.
The guys doing the real work in mining can go through a pair a year. They get a boot allowance. I get 5+ years on mine.
The worst wear problem for me is repeated getting wet and then drying out. The cycling action is tough on the leather. The sides near the ball of the foot get tiny cracks. Keeping them oiled really helps get more life out of them.
I also eventually get wear on the heels. Then they are retired from work and go to lawn mowing.

I've been doing a lot of food plant stuff lately so I need to get some steel (or whatever the new thing is) toed tennis shoes.

My father was a large-animal veterinarian at a stockyards. The guys that walked the yards all day stepping in everything wore Redwings.

I've kept high-top steel toe Redwings in the car for close to 30 years. I do a lot of work in mining and they hold up well. The last time I bought 2 pair from a Redwing store it was around $560 with the tax. They are pretty heavy but very comfortable.
The guys doing the real work in mining can go through a pair a year. They get a boot allowance. I get 5+ years on mine.
The worst wear problem for me is repeated getting wet and then drying out. The cycling action is tough on the leather. The sides near the ball of the foot get tiny cracks. Keeping them oiled really helps get more life out of them.
I also eventually get wear on the heels. Then they are retired from work and go to lawn mowing.

I've been doing a lot of food plant stuff lately so I need to get some steel (or whatever the new thing is) toed tennis shoes.
Thank you for your response. Yesterday I was in a Red wings store but found them not very comfortable. I hear after they break in. they are great. I also hear they last. I won't be un wet conditions very often. I appreciate your help.

I like Red Wings Irish Setter boots. Especially if you get the custom insoles they offer. I think I paid around $250 for the boots and insoles
I looked at some Irish setter boots at the Red wings store yesterday. I was not sure if they were good as Red wings. Is yours holding up ? I also was measured for the insoles. Kind of pricey insoles. Might get some good Red wings or Irish Setter then maybe later get their custom insoles. How long have you had your boots? Have you had good luck with the Iris Setter brand lasting over an year? Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

I used to wear Redwings in the mill, now that I'm in engineering I'm wearing Thorogoods. I find them comfortable and durable, and they are made in the USA.

I like Redwing for construction and outdoors. A lot of the guys here use them in the factory doing maintenance work.
Personally, for boots being on the concrete shop floor (both walking around and standing at a machine) I like the Wolverine Durashock boots.
I have used them for about 20 years. Tried one or two others through the years but went back to them.
Only time I had problems with them was and older pair outside in extreme cold, but I bought them for indoor factory work.

I get two pairs of cheap work boots and wear them alternates days, then for comfort I wear two pairs of socks. The shoes last for years, though the socks rather less :) If I am walking a lot I add some insoles. Steel toe caps and steel midsole, antistatic if needed.

I used to wear Redwings in the mill, now that I'm in engineering I'm wearing Thorogoods. I find them comfortable and durable, and they are made in the USA.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. Is Thorogoods more of an engineering type boot and so much not on a factory floor?

I like Redwing for construction and outdoors. A lot of the guys here use them in the factory doing maintenance work.
Personally, for boots being on the concrete shop floor (both walking around and standing at a machine) I like the Wolverine Durashock boots.
I have used them for about 20 years. Tried one or two others through the years but went back to them.
Only time I had problems with them was and older pair outside in extreme cold, but I bought them for indoor factory work.
I will look into Wolverine Durashock boots for factory floor work in the maintenance I do. I am thinking Redwing boots are more for heavy maintenance work including outside and inside construction. Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. Is Thorogoods more of an engineering type boot and so much not on a factory floor?
Not necessarily, I had 22 years wading in hydraulic oil, mill scale, and metal cuttings. The Redwings held up well there, now that I have arthritis in my feet the Redwings are far from comfortable.

I get two pairs of cheap work boots and wear them alternates days, then for comfort I wear two pairs of socks. The shoes last for years, though the socks rather less :) If I am walking a lot I add some insoles. Steel toe caps and steel midsole, antistatic if needed.
Thank you for your response. I will look into better socks

I wore Red Wings working offshore (that's what the company provided). I had the slip-on rubber boots for working on deck or under the deckplates in the engine room (often standing in seawater or oily bilge water) and the slip-on leather boots otherwise. They both held up pretty well, but they were never super comfortable. I used the slip-ons so they were easier to take off if I ended up in the water. Never really trusted that the work vest would keep me afloat while wearing all my stuff.

I've also tried some Wolverines (don't remember the model; it's been a while). They were ok but didn't stand out as great. Now, my go-to is Timberland Pro. I've been re-buying them about every 1.5-2 years or so. They're Electrical Hazard rated and comfortable out of the box. I'm on concrete floors all day and end up walking through coolant and hydraulic fluid occasionally. With all of my work boots, the "wear-out" point is when the soles start to get smooth and hard. The leather is dirty but fine.

You might consider moc toe wedge style sole as opposed to a logger style (Big lugs) sole for work on concrete. 1 minute Youtube tells you the difference:
Why do Iron Workers Wear Wedge Sole Boots?

I had a pair of Irish Setter's that lasted 5 years of daily wear. They didn't owe me anything. I was disappointed I couldn't buy the same model.

I look for boots with all leather uppers, instead of those with strips here and there of the artificial running shoe material that sneaks in on a lot of 'work' boots because the fake material doesn't old up like leather. It pays to clean your boots, inside and out, to let your dry (good idea to alternate boots and let a pair dry out for a day), and to oil them on occasion to keep the leather moist.