control logix L53 coms to telesis 420

jerry_79

Hello all,

we are updating out PLC5 to control logix, but we have run into a problem with our coms to our telesis, the L53 dont have a serial port, so we got a gateway just for control logix to ASCII thinking we could msg the string to the gateway box then to the telesis, but im having a hard time connecting to the gateway box, anyone have a idea if this can even be done:wish:,
any help would be great
thanks

Welcome to the Forum !

Do you really have a 1756-L53 ? Those were very uncommon and have not been built for probably 8 or 10 years.

But I'm sure they do have a serial port. You can almost certainly translate any ASCII instructions that were in the PLC-5 to the ControlLogix.

If you have a different ControlLogix controller, like a 1756-L73, or if you want to discuss how the ASCII gateway might be used, provide some details about exactly what model of gateway device you purchased and how your existing logic works.

The good news is that the Real Time Automation gateways have a reputation of being very easy to configure and use.

There are no products on the market, from RA or anyone else, that just allow you to re-direct the ASCII port instruction set across an Ethernet network. Every one of them requires a different approach.

If you can post the PLC-5 program, or excerpts from it, then Forum members may be able to suggest how the data and logic can be re-formatted to work with the RTA gateway device.

It is very unlikely that someone will be able to post "here's an exact example of translating a PLC-5 ASCII instruction into RTA format". But there are a lot of users here with part of the answer to contribute.