Quickpanel Mini upload

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a Quickpanel Mini CQPM3D200B2P-A model:2880052-01 from which I need to try to get an upload.

Looking at past threads, it seems I'm probably going to need Quick Designer software. Is it available for download somewhere? I have Proficy Machine Edition version 9.5 - is that of any use to me. What cable do I need? Does GIT have one available perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks Steve. I found that link and installed it but it appears to just be a utility for converting files entitled Panel Station Import. I can see no way to get an upload. Am I missing something?

I found a GPW-B02 cable in our cable cupboard that is 8-pin mini DIN to D9. No chance that'll work, I guess? I need a convertor in the line, I believe?

I got my USB-GPW-CB03a cable from GIT.

When I try to get an upload in Proficy ME v9.5, I get the following error:

Error 12035:Unable to establish connection over the selected COM port, QuickPanel unit may need to be restarted.

Any idea what the problem might be? I notice the Quickpanel has a "Transfer screen data" mode option when you enter its system menu by pressing the corners of its screen. Does it need to be in this mode before an upload can be initiated?

When you plug in a USB/serial converter for the first time you can never be sure what COM port Windows is going to assign to it. Check in Device Manager to see what COM port got assigned to the USB cable. Then make sure Proficy is set to use that COM port for communications with the Quick Panel.

No, Windows assigned the new cable Com25 but Proficy only allowed me to enter Com 1 to 6. So I overrode Windows and assigned the cable Com6 then selected that for the target in Proficy.

However, I have just realized that I didn't exhaustively check all the available baud rate settings for the target in Proficy - so I'll give that a go tomorrow.

So I was able to connect at 9600 baud but I was unable to get an upload. I'm assuming I'm going to need the QuickDesigner software. I know sigmadelta posted a link to version 3.7 about two and a half years ago but that link is no longer valid.

I found this page, which looked initially promising but the links for the program and patch downloads are no longer valid:

https://faq.hmisource.com/s/article/quick-designer

Can anyone assist?

So I was able to connect at 9600 baud but I was unable to get an upload.
What was the message you received when you failed to get an upload? If the original programmer of the Quick Panel chose not to permit the end user from uploading the application file you're out of luck. I have an old Quick Designer manual for version 3.4. It says, "The project file must have been saved with the downloaded file, otherwise an error message will be displayed." The manual doesn't include the text of the message.

Thanks for the reply, Steve. The messages in the Upload tab of the Feedback Zone were:

Code:
Starting upload from QuickPanel
COM port opened successfully.
Connection established.
Baud rate set.
Unable to create upload file: .
An Error has occurred...
=== An Error has occurred. Please Turn off Display Device. ===

The "Unable to create upload file: ." messages looked like they were going to keep being churned out. After about 30 seconds, I clicked the Cancel button in the Upload dialog and that's when I got the "An Error has occurred..." message.

I also got an error dialog when I first started the upload - see attached screen capture - I clicked OK and the Upload process appeared to start along with the messages I listed above.

Capture.PNG

"Unable to create upload file" may be telling you that the project file is not present in the QP. Perhaps someone who has experience with the product from before when it was acquired by GE could confirm or refute that. Or maybe someone from Proface.

I got my USB-GPW-CB03a cable from GIT.

Thank you

If you think it maybe the cable let me know and I will send you another one, I dont think I have ever had issues with them failing, I dont know enough about the QP to help with the issues, I was always looking for Steve and Russ to chime in.

"Unable to create upload file" may be telling you that the project file is not present in the QP. Perhaps someone who has experience with the product from before when it was acquired by GE could confirm or refute that. Or maybe someone from Proface.

I've managed to find a copy of QuickDesigner v3.7 so I'm going to install that on an XP virtual machine and try that but that's about my last roll of the dice. Thanks for your help though, Steve.

Thank you

If you think it maybe the cable let me know and I will send you another one, I dont think I have ever had issues with them failing, I dont know enough about the QP to help with the issues, I was always looking for Steve and Russ to chime in.

I'm virtually certain it's not the cable

Code:
Connection established.
Baud rate set.

I think the above section of feedback bears this out.

Thank you for the offer though. Your customer service is fantastic.

🍻

Another success for the PLCS.net forum!

I installed the Proface version of Quickdesigner v3.7 on my WinXP Pro VM and using geniusintraining's PLCCable.com's USB-GPW-CB03a cable it looked like the HMI project was uploading but, right at the end, I got an error "Project upload error. Unsupported protocol."

The person who provided the software also included the Total Control version so I uninstalled the Proface version and installed that version (still Quickdesigner v3.7) and the upload rolled right through to the end! I'm able to see and edit all the screens and life is good! I exported the project to a .prj file and it's now safely on the company server.

By the way, I had to put the screen into "Transfer screen data" mode by pressing the four corners of the screen (although during my researches I think I read that pressing 3 corners works), pressing Offline then Transfer Screen Data.

Thank you very much to Steve and geniusintraining for their input and especially to the person who hooked me up with the software. I believe it works for a 4-day trial period without registering it. Does anyone know if a simple reinstall resets the trial period?