First Attempt at Logix5000

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello.
Stayed after work tonight and finshed this while there was no one around to make me do something else.

My first attempt at Logix5000, it is a short program, not much to it.

I was hoping some of you may take a look and give me advice for how to better structure / organize things within the program before I put it out in the factory.

It was tough at first to get use to the Tag Structure instead of using a fixed given data table, so I am sure you will say the Tag Table is a mess.
But the more I played with it the more I started to like it.
Took me a bit to figure out the Clock, UDT and AOI but all are pretty nice to use.

I am sure there are lots of things in here that those with more experience can point out that should be done different or could be done better.
I am self taught and look forward to learning more from your comments and advice. [Place neck on chopping block]

Thanks in Advance.

BCS

Hello- only looked briefly, but i would say that if this is your first attempt, your a champ!
Only thing that confused me was your SCP for the Baader speeed reference. Should it be 0 for input minimum? your feedback is 0-75 but your reference going out is 50-75. Good stuff!

Quick Review

Sub10_Clock

Rungs 1-6 could be combined into 1 Rung. This would allow easier reading of logic with the same result of 6 Rungs.

Rung 7 You can't press and hold two buttons on a HMI. Touchscreen is captive. Only 1 press allowed. Timer has no preset. Also Timer.DN is not in program (maybe monitored by HMI?)

Rung 8 Reduce 7 Branches down to 3 again for easier reading of logic. Consecutive Moves Left to Right are the same as Consecutive Moves Top to Bottom. They just make better use of limited space.

Sub20_Sequencing_Bits

Not a fan of using coil to mirror image the Done Bit of your timer. They are the Same Thing.

If Timer2 is not done then Run Timer1
If Timer1 is done then Run Timer 2

There is no problem with your logic it's just that memory use to be limited.
I guess I a little old school.

OK one last thing and this truly is only an opinion

The Descriptions are a little heavy handed for me. Your Tag Names take care of identification. The Rung Comment Section is where I prefer to type my Comments About the Logic. Not on each and every Tag.

P.S.
When Commenting on Timers I do not state the Preset Value in Comment. Just for the Reason of it could change. Then you have 2 places change values.

I just make a comment like ... If abc is true for time Then xyz

Thanks for your Input and advice.
I will look at these this morning and see if I can clean it up a bit using your suggestions.

The Scaled Min on the SCP, yep, you have a good eye.
The controller is on the bench at the moment and not connected to a VFD so I was playing around with it and did not put it back to 50. Thanks.

For the MOV's Being on branch extensions, this is the only way I have ever seen it done, which is why I do it that way.
Thanks for pointing out that it can be done on one rung with no branches, I will give it a try.

You say that the instructions WILL execute in Left to Right order on the rung just as they will from top to bottom on extensions?
So if I have 5 MOV and then a RES from left to right on one rung the controller will still logically make the moves first and then reset the given bit?

For the pressing 2 buttons on the touch screen, I did not know this.
I will change it out to only 1 button.

While we are on this subject, can you STACK one button on top of the other and when you push the top button the others will work also?

Thanks
BCS

Stacking yes. Unless you use the visibility animation. If button is invisible it will not execute. Just remember that the touch screen is the same as a mouse. You can't click a mouse in two different areas of the screen at the same time.

And yes on 5 moves and reset

Attached is a 3 rung routine for PPM once you unzip just import routine.
This import/export option can come in handy.

Now import will create new tags when importing so try it in a blank program.

That way you can see or test the routine.

cwal61,

I am just seeing the post you left for me.
Thanks for that, much better than what I had going on.
I will incorporate it into my program.

Thanks for posting that.

BCS